Chapter 11

It's been three days since we visited my family's home and I haven't spoken about it to anyone else. My mom keeps trying to get me to come home, saying I'm not yet eighteen and that I need to be watched over by an adult till then, and practically using every written law as an excuse to get me to come back home. I sit in a chair in a corner reading The Fault In Our Stars. I turn the page when someone approaches me. I look up and spot Drake. I smile and put the bookmark in the book and set it aside as he sits down in the chair next to me.

"Yes?" I ask, looking into his eyes.

"We have to go to my fathers tonight," he says, his smile fading and his eyes darkening a little, "make sure to wear something nice. Like a dress," I furrow my eyebrows at him.

"My dad likes formal occasions," he explains nonchalantly, "we need to be there by six tonight," I take a glimpse at the clock. It is five right now. So I should probably get ready. I grab my book and stand. He stands as well and steps in front of me. I look up at him and he bends down and gives me a quick kiss before allowing me to leave. I blush a bit as I walk up the stairs. I enter my room and set the book on the table as I enter my room and walk into my walk in closet.

I search through my dresses and find one that I like and it is fancy enough. It was a black dress with one sleeve on the left shoulder with fake diamonds lining the top and sleeve (pic above). I grab a pair of black heels and walk into my bathroom and change. I walk out of the bathroom and quickly comb my hair. I keep it down as it is wavy and I like it. I grab my phone and put it in a small carry on purse with a small black string so then I can carry it on my arm. I check the time to find it being 5:30. I sigh before I leave my room. I turn off the lights and exit my apartment, locking the door and putting the key into my purse as well. I walk down the stairs carefully, since this is one of the rare times I wear heels.

I spot Drake downstairs, in a tux. He turns around when he hears me and his shocked look turns into smile. I blush as I look down at the stairs as I walk down them, a smile creeping onto my face. I reach the bottom of the stairs and Drake offers me his arm. I giggle as I take it and we leave the building. He opens the door for me and waits for me to get in until he shuts it. He slides into the drivers seat and starts the car.

"Who knew you could be such a gentleman," I say with a small giggle. He smirks and looks over at me.

"I'm only a gentleman to certain people," he says, "and so far, your the only person I am a gentleman to," I blush and am thankful that it is dark out. Soon, we are backing out of the driveway.

-

We pull into the driveway of a big mansion. His father must be rich. I gape at the house as the car stops.

"Woah," I say softly and Drake chuckles.

"Yeah," he says, "my dad likes to collect, and here is the result," he gestures to the house. While I am still gaping at the house, Drake gets out and walks over to my side. He opens the door and helps me out. We walk to the front door, arm in arm, and Drake knocks. We wait a few seconds, which make me more nervous. Soon, the door swings open and a forty year old man with black hair and similar facial structure to Drake's stands there.

"Hello!" He says cheerfully, "come in, come in," I smile shyly as we walk inside, still arm in arm. The house was even fancier than the outside. The house was open, a glass dinner table already set with food, a large living room with a flat screen, and a large kitchen. There were other rooms and a second floor. Maids quickly put the food on the table and walk hastily by us, muttering a quick hello as they past. We follow Drake's dad to the table, where he gestures for us to have a seat. I sit next to Drake. We begin to eat and Drake's father strikes up the conversation.

"So," he says, "I'm Drake's father, Patrick Mills, CEO of a business, and you are?" I clear my throat before speaking.

"My name is Payton Riley," I answer. Patrick studies me before smiling.

"What a lovely name," he says before speaking to both Drake and I, "so, when is the wedding?" I almost choke on the food I am eating and I hear Drake give an annoyed sigh next to me.

"Dad, please, we are in high school!" Drake says, clearly annoyed. I don't speak, I just stare at my food.

"Son, we have had this discussion many times," Patrick says, not catching his son's annoyance, "you are the only Mills left, you need to keep the family going, and to do so, you need a wife," I feel my cheeks heat up as I know Patrick is looking at me.

"Is she a shifter?" Patrick asks suddenly. Drake takes my hand in his underneath the table and rubs his thumb on top of my hand, assuring me that this will be over soon. But not soon enough.

"Yes, she is, dad," Drake says firmly, trying to give his dad the hint to end this conversation. Patrick doesn't hear the hint, he just stares at me.

"What animal can she shift into?" He asks, voice filled with authority and curiousness.

"We, uh, we don't know yet," Drake says. I close my eyes, trying to ignore the conversation. But I fail.

"How long has it been since she discovered she is a shifter?" Patrick asks and I feel drake's hand tense slightly in mine.

"About a month, possibly longer," Drake answers.

"Are you sure she isn't a Stolid?" Patrick asks, "you know, one who is a shifter, but can't shift into any animal," I feel Drake's anger rising.

"I'm sure, dad," Drake says loud and firmly.

"There is a possibility of that, son," Patrick says, "and if she is a Stolid, then she can't be allowed to marry you since she will poison the family for generations to come," Drake snaps and stands up, sending his chair flying a few feet away.

"Enough!" Drake says loudly, "she isn't a Stolid, I am sure of it. And even if she was, which is highly unlikely since she is a full-bred, I would still marry her with or without your consent," I loose it. Drake starts saying some more stuff, but I don't want to hear it. I stand up and retreat outside. I stand on a porch and hug myself as the cool night breeze rips through the air. I walk over to the railing and lean on it, thinking. What if I am a Stolid? Would Drake leave me for a girl who could actually shift? Tears run down my cheeks at those thoughts. Soon, I hear a door close and someone walking towards me. Drake appears at my side and I loose it. The tears are let loose as I cry silently. Drake wraps his arms around me and hugs me protectively.

"Drake?" I ask. He makes a noise showing that he is listening, "what if I am a Stolid?"

"Don't say that," he says, his voice full of determination, "you aren't a Stolid,"

"But what if I was," I ask, "would you still love me?" He looks down at me.

"I would love you no matter what, Payt," he says. I smile into his chest as the tears slowly stop. I close my eyes and match my breathing with his. We stay like that for a while before Drake speaks again.

"Do you want to leave?" He asks, "or we can stay here if you want,"

"I want to go home," I say softly and I step back and wipe the dry tears from my face. Drake looks at me, a worried look in his eyes. I give him a smile as we walk back into the house. Patrick smiles at us, but I avoid his gaze as Drake glares at his father. We make it to the front door.

"Let's hope she isn't a Stolid," Patrick says behind us and I just stare at the floor while Drake tenses.

"Dad, enough, please," he says firmly, "Payton isn't a Stolid, and we aren't getting married any time soon," Patrick sighs and leaves the room. Drake looks after his father before turning around, "you ready?" I nod and we leave the house. We get into the car and we drive a few minutes in silence.

"I'm sorry," Drake says suddenly, I look over at him and smile faintly, "I didn't know he would say that stuff. We shouldn't have went there," I remain silent, "I should have known that his intentions were to invade in our relationship, I'm so stupid,"

"It's alright," I say gently, "you couldn't have known what his intentions were," he looks over at me and smiles.

"It's only going to get worse next year," he says, "our senior year. He will already be planning the wedding and honeymoon. And he might have already bought a house," I smile faintly, wondering what is to come in our lives.