30. Moving Mountains

this is it yall. last chapter. idk how this ended up being 7500 words but here we are

enjoy :')

++++

Penelope was down the stairs too soon.

She was smiling at Jamie, but that smile dropped the second she noticed that I was with him. Her rosy face bore no hate or spite when she looked at me; those were things people didn't learn until they were older. But she was wary. Suspicious. Defensive for her brother's sake. The first words out of her mouth were, "Why is he here?"

Jamie let go of my hand to rub his own together. His body was turned toward her now, so that his back was to me. I wasn't really there anymore; just something to lean on. I spread my palm over the small of his back to steady him.

"Because I need him to be," Jamie told her. When Penelope kept her arms crossed, glaring over his shoulder, he added, "He's here to help me."

But she didn't budge. I don't think she even really heard him. Focusing unwaveringly on me, eyebrows furrowed and lips pursed, she said, "You hurt my brother real bad."

    I could feel Jamie's frustration in the way he pressed back against my hand. His nerve was slipping away by the second. He needed her to focus.

There wasn't anything I could say to her but, "I know."

"We're okay, Pip," Jamie reassured, begging with his voice for her attention. "I promise. He's . . . he's good. For me."

I couldn't see his face, but I could hear the heaviness of his voice, like every word had to fight through something thick and stubborn in his throat to get to his mouth. Some words didn't make it all the way through.

Penelope finally tore her gaze from me. When she turned her attention Jamie, she forgot me entirely, her face going slack with worry. She edged closer, leaning against the arm of the couch. "Why are you crying?"

Jamie gave up on sitting up straight, placing his weight on me instead. My hand on his back slid involuntarily around his waist to hold him steady. I still couldn't see much of his face, but I could see the red corner of his eye, and his hand when it came up to wipe underneath.

"Because I've gotta go, Pip," he said, just loud enough for her to hear.

She didn't get it. Of course she didn't. She just cocked her head to the side, full of curiosity, and said, "Go where?"

"Away."

"Like, on a trip?" she giggled like he was being silly. "Then what're you all sad for? Will you send me a postcard?"

Despite himself, Jamie managed a teary laugh. "I'll send you as many postcards as you want."

"Twenty?"

"Sure. Twenty."

"Really?" Penelope said with a happy little gasp. After a moment, though, she faltered, her eyes narrowing in consideration. "Mom and dad will probably throw them away though . . . I'll just get to them first." Her chest rose with confident determination. "Wait, what time does the mailman come?"

Jamie tried for a response. When the right words evaded him, he eased away from me. My arm fell listlessly from around him, and he scooted off the couch to kneel down in front of her. Seeing him up close, it was like someone had poked a hole in her optimistic little bubble. She deflated, her confidence trickling out quick as air, and asked, "How long are you going to be gone?"

Jamie only shook his head.

It took a second. Then Penelope got it.

She sat down so slowly, the couch didn't dip at all beneath her.