Chapter 14: Apologies

(Had to split the chapter to edit it correctly so this one is short) 

"I spy a cute little mouse sniffling about something not worth the tears," Wolf said as he sat down against the side of the school building next to Grayson, offering him a small smile as he nudged his shoulder.

"Wanna talk to someone who won't bother remembering anything embarrassing tomorrow cause he plans to get drunk off his ass later tonight?" he asked.

He could tell that the kid was trying to hide a smile, but it didn't help that he ducked his head in his arms, which he had folded atop his knees.

Not obvious at all.

"Oh come on, this is your one chance to spill it all and have no witnesses tomorrow."

Grayson's shoulders shook a few times, telling him that he was slowly getting through to him. Unfortunately for the kid, Wolf wasn't one for patience. With a playful growl he shoved the guy into the grass, then began tickling him like crazy.

Grayson immediately squealed and tried to get away, but it was no use.

When he'd decided that he'd tickled him enough, Wolf released him and leaned back.

"So then, done crying? or do we need a round two?" he asked with a raised eyebrow.

Grayson quickly waved his hands in the air, still panting on the ground.

Guess that means he's good.

"Why don't you go talk with him? I know you have a crush on the big oaf and he obviously made a mistake since you're... uh, well, rainbow, but I'm sure he didn't mean to hurt your feelings."

Grayson blushed as Wolf stared down at him, and if he didn't like chicks so much, he might have made himself competition for his grumpy elephant friend.

"Go get him, kid. Make him take you for a ride on his back to a fancy restaurant. You know he'll do it for you."

In fact, he could see said elephant running towards them right that moment.

Time to make sure he doesn't do something stupid again.

Reaching forward, Wolf grabbed Grayson by the arm and yanked him up, stealing a kiss right before bolting. He heard Erin's elephant's trumpet behind him but didn't dare look back.

Sorry buddy, but you'll thank me later!

Erin came to a stop right in front of Grayson. He could have gone after Wolf, but he knew that he'd never be able to catch him, even in his human form. The bastard was in shape from all the running he did for track, so it was best to just pop him over the head later when he wasn't paying attention.

So, focusing on Grayson, Erin swung his trunk just above his fuzzy colorful head. He had shifted from surprise right as Erin had changed.

His elephant blew out a snort of frustration but he knew that he had to fix his mistake with Gray, anyways. He hadn't meant to hurt his feelings, but he did and now he had to suck up his ego and apologize. With a determined huff his elephant slowly managed to sit down, its back legs splayed out to either side as the front ones held up whatever weight his butt didn't take.

It looked a bit funny, but his shift wasn't a fan of being close to the ground.

Gray?

The tiny multicolored mouse perked up, ears twitching in the tall grass.

How can you talk to me in my mind? That is only for people who are close to me.

Erin snorted a laugh and nudged Grayson's mouse gently with his trunk.

I know, but I'm not sure why we can do it. I just remember that time when Henry and his friend were bothering you in the locker room. I heard you mentally shout.

He looked a bit skeptical, but he supposed he decided not to argue because he soon began to swat at his trunk like a cat would a feather... except that the feather was a hell of a lot bigger than the cat.

Listen, Gray. i'm really sorry about what I did. I wasn't trying to hurt you or make you upset. I uh... hang on a second.

Getting up, Erin sauntered over to where he had dropped his stuff and picked up a canvas and two buckets of paint. It took a bit of effort and he had to carry the canvas in his mouth, but he managed to get it all over to Grayson in one piece. The guy was just tugging on his pants after having shifted back when he looked up with a raised eyebrow.

If you'll hold it for me, I'd like to try and complete our assignment. The teacher said I could use my trunk instead of stepping on the canvas, so maybe it will work that way.

Grayson's eyes lit up as he quickly grabbed the canvas from Erin's mouth and set it aside so that he could open both red and black paints. When the lids were off Erin dipped his trunk in, then took a careful inhale... only to jerk his nose out of the bucket and sneeze black paint all over the canvas... and Grayson.

Shit!

The kid was standing there blinking, covered in black spots from head to toe.

I'm sorry! I took too deep a breath!

He was about to beg for forgiveness when Grayson suddenly burst out laughing.

Gray?

The kid flopped over into the grass, kicking his feet.

Shifting, Erin walked over. He tried to be upset but after wiping his arm across his nose and seeing it come away black, he smirked, then started laughing right along with Grayson. After a few moments he flopped down beside him and nudged his shoulder, getting the cute smile he adored in response.

"I'm sorry I was mean," he said earnestly.

Grayson tried to still look upset, too, but just couldn't pull it off as he laughed quietly and rolled over onto Erin's chest.

"I accept your apology... but I was told that there would be a fancy dinner and a ride on your elephant's back to accompany it," Grayson said with a hopeful grin. 

Erin grinned and shook his head from side to side in the grass, then sighed. 

"I guess I can arrange that, since you accepted my apology and all," he replied, knowing darn well that he'd fully intended to spoil Grayson even without the added prompting.