Safe and Sound

"Everything is calm in my house when I wake up. Which is weird being it's 1:30 on a Saturday. Maybe they're out in town." It's a Autumn afternoon. Bailey gets up and looks around the house a note maybe her mom would have left for her.  "Weird, they didn't leave a note?" Bailey said walking around the kitchen to find food. She opens the fridge and sees all the food is rotten. "Eww...I guess I can wait till they get home." Bailey goes and sits on the couch and turns on the T.V. The screen is frozen on what looks like the local news. A man with his face resting in his hands. He looks upset.

Bailey saw blur'd wording at the bottom of the screen. "Find shelter! Food and Water!" "Hmm is it a tornado?" Bailey gets up and steps outside. "It's sunny?" Bailey grabs her phone and texts her sister. "Where are you?" The text never sent. As Bailey sat outside waiting for her mom and sister, she realized that there has been no cars drive by. Bailey gets up and grabs her key. She hops in her 1992 Ford F150 pickup truck. Bailey pulls out of the drive way. Bailey lives on a turny back highway. In the fall it is beautiful. All the leaves on the trees fall on the road with all the different colors. Bailey rolls down her window and turns on the radio. Nothing but static. Just as she looks up she sees a man in the middle of the road. She swerves and hits a tree. The windshield broke. Glass everywhere. Bailey tried to get up but hit her head so bad she passed out. As she lays there the hours fly by. Its around 7:30 and she finally gets up. "Ouch...." She said rubbing her head. She sees she bleeding. "What happened..?" Bailey unbuckled herself and opened the door from her truck. She slowly steps out of the truck and tries to walk. Her leg is bruised and bleeding from all the glass. " I will just walk to the nearest house.." Bailey said limping to the high way. The house isn't far away, but with a limp it would take awhile. She starts walking down the road and then lets out a little cry. "What is going on...?" As she was crying she heard something in the forest off the side of the road. The sound was something running, maybe several.

Bailey stops and looks at the forest trying to think what it could be. She stares into the forest as if it put a spell on her. In a heartbeat the sound stopped. Bailey turned around and kept walking. About 30 minutes about went by and she saw the house. It was getting darker and colder. The sky was clear and you could see every star. Bailey limps to the door. Her arm rises and hit the door about four times. No answer. She wiggles the door knob. "It's unlocked." She opens the door slowly where it would make all kinds of sounds. "Hello? Anyone home? I was in a wreck and need help." The house was silent. It was a old looking house with dark paneling in the living room. and old faded rugs. Pictures on the wall of children and a family. Tears came back to her eyes. She was thinking about her sister and mom. Bailey wiped the tears away and moved on through the house. Slowly she made it to the kitchen. It was a mess. Plates were everywhere and little spots on the floor that was red. Looks like blood. Bailey didn't pay any attention to it though. She found a phone on the floor. A spark of joy rushed through her whole body. She ran to the phone and picked it up and only got a dial tone. A hard sickly feeling hit her stomach. "UGH!!" She yelled throwing the phone down. She rested on the floor crying. She became scared and worried. She got up and tried to find some food. One cabinet was empty. She tries another one. As she opens it up a man rushes in with a crossbow and a flashlight. "Who are you!?" The man yelled. Bailey threw her hands up and closed her eyes shut tight. "I am Bailey! Sorry I just needed a phone!" She said turning around facing the man. "Why are you bleeding?! Did you get bit by one of them!?"

"Wait? What do you mean bit?" Bailey said opening her eyes to see the man. He was tall. Dark brown hair and brown eyes. Face was dirty like he was rolling in dirty or didn't take a bath. "Who are you?" He asked leaning on the counter looking at me still iffy with as if i was evil. " I am Bailey Stevens." Bailey said trying to stand straight up. "Whats wrong with you?" He said pulling some kind of wrapping out of his back pocket. "I was in a wreck. Some crazy guy was in the middle of the road so i hit a tree..." She said looking down. "If i was you I would have it him.." The man said coming closer to Bailey. "What why!? Are you crazy!" Bailey yelled pushing herself back away from him. "Listen to my girl. It would have been the right thing to do! Now be still so I can help you." He said holding her still. "Who are you? I never got your name." Bailey said while he washed the blood off her head. "I am Daniel, Daniel James." He said staring closely at Baileys head. "Wow you hit your head pretty good." He said lightly rubbing his thumb on the knot. After Daniel helped her he looked through the house to find a place to stay the night. Bailey followed him around the house. "Can you tell me whats going on....?" She said staying a good distance away from him. "You really don't know do you?" he said kicking a bedroom door open. "No..." He turned around and looked at her. He walked up to her " You and I should be safe and sound here."