The beginnings

The large study hall of the Salvatore School was filled with students chatting away, while all Josie wanted to do was have some peace and quiet. That turned out to be impossible because Lizzie was feeling particularly chatty today. Not that Josie didn't enjoy her twin sister's conversation, but the brunette hadn't had a lot of sleep and couldn't focus on her sister's newest rant.

In fact, she caught herself zoning out, not even really listening to the words that were coming in her diction nonstop. It wasn't the nicest thing to do but Josie knew her sister well enough to know that it wasn't earthshattering important news what Lizzie was complaining about.

However, she reengaged into the conversation and looked up from her book, facing her blonde twin sitting next to her on the comfortable couch when she heard a somewhat familiar voice.

"Hey Jojo."

The big, brown eyes looked and saw Penelope Park walking, uttering those surprising words. Josie was stunned but reacted as best as she could.

"H-Hi," she replied before the girl wearing a darker version of their school uniform passed them completely.

"What the hell was that?" Lizzie scoffed obviously just as surprised. "Why is Penelope Park talking to you?"

"She just said Hi," Josie downplayed their quick exchange when it was unusual indeed.

"She called you Jojo," Lizzie emphasized the nickname which Josie had never heard before either. "And why is she staring at you now?" The taller sister added, making Josie turn around to find a pair of hazel eyes definitely meeting hers before quickly turning back around.

"Don't get me wrong," Lizzie locked eyes with her twin again. "Penelope is cute. She's popular and a witch so she wouldn't be a bad catch if she wasn't you know, evil."

"What makes you say that?" Josie wondered.

"Oh please, dearest sister. Everyone knows she's devious."

"Maybe she's just confident and doesn't apologize for what she wants," the brunette countered to her own surprise.

"Do you like her?" The shock and slight disdain were distinguishable in Lizzie's voice.

"No," Josie shrugged lightly. "I don't know her. That's why I don't want to make a judgment call."

"Which is exactly why someone like Penelope Park would you eat you alive," the blonde girl tried to argue her point.

"Let's just go to class," Josie suggested, not interested in deepening the conversation when there was no need for it. In her head, there was no way Penelope would become a topic again since it was a simple greeting nothing more.

As they got up, Josie couldn't help but look back once more to find that the raven-haired girl was gone. Just as Josie expected. They all had the same class next, but their interaction had always been minimal. Penelope had a bigger circle of friends whereas Josie spent most of her time with Lizzie.

Taking her usual seat next to her twin, she heard some mumblings in the classroom but couldn't figure out why.

"Hello again," the same, smooth voice that had greeted her just a few minutes ago reappeared as Josie whipped around to see Penelope taking the seat to her right.

"Hey," she returned slightly confused. Lizzie was to her left and rolled her eyes. Alicia, who was usually sitting to Josie's right came up to them, but when seeing Penelope in her seat, didn't say a word and simply switched seats. It was clear that the young witch with long, dark locks had a certain power that went beyond magic.