03 | make me proud

CHAPTER THREE

MAKE ME PROUD

          DAY TWO

          DAY TWO

          It turns out AP Bio isn't half bad. It's certainly better than I expected, as mentioned by Blake earlier, but, in spite of my eagerness to learn, I was momentarily taken aback by the fact that I've already filled three pages of my notebook with notes from one class.

          After class—and before AP English Literature, which is everything I could have wanted and more—I'm introduced to yet more people, which leaves me wondering how in the world I'm going to memorize so many names.

          Jasmine Heartway, commonly known as Jas, is a bubbly blonde with a penchant for acting and extravagant earrings, as evidenced by the cherries hanging from her ears. Her boyfriend, Noah Holland, describes himself as a tennis champion and a The Smiths enthusiast in his free time.

          I know next to nothing about acting or tennis, so I simply nod.

          The two other people are two seniors—Luke's friends, I'm guessing—and they barely look our way, so, fortunately, I don't get to talk to them. I find out the guy is Jas' brother, Henry, and he's joined by his girlfriend, Rachel (he calls her Rach, so I'm assuming it's either that or something similar). These two don't stick around for too long, as Rach quickly remembers there's somewhere else they have to be and they bolt out of the conversation.

          I hate that I noticed it, but Avery spent the entire time glancing expectantly at Rach, while the latter never once looked her way. By the look on Red's face, she probably saw the same thing as I did.

          "So, how was everyone's summer?" she asks, in an attempt of changing the subject. "Ours was great. We went to Florida, tried to drown Luke—"

          "Hey," Luke protests. "That's not what happened. I fell into the pool."

          "Why didn't I see any photographic evidence of this?" Avery questions, with an arm loosely wrapped around his waist. "I miss the beach. I was stuck in Canada for the entire summer."

          "Says the palest person in the state of Maine," Blake remarks. "Seriously, though; have you seen the sun in, like, the last ten years or so?" He steps forward and rolls up one of his sleeves to leave his tanned skin uncovered. "Look at that!"

          "Ave's also really, really white," Red points out.

          "And only half of me is. I'm aware." He rolls down his sleeve again as if nothing happened. Avery briefly smiles up at Luke and he presses a quick kiss to the top of her head. "Lucas!"

          Luke straightens. "Yes?"

          "How's senior year been treating you so far?"

          "I've literally had one class."