Ch 6

I take a quick shower to wash off all the dirt and dry blood that was on my skin. Once I'm done I look through the dresser and find some clothes I can change into. Knowing I won't be able to sleep I go back to the lab. I get there trying to sort out all the casualties. I was working nonstop until the sun came up, so focused that I didn't hear the door open.

"Mason? How long have you been here?" Bruce asks.

"All night." I mumble.

"Any word on Barton?" I ask looking over my shoulder briefly.

"Nat's been calling but getting no answer." He says.

"Well he's out there." I say motioning to the list of casualties, him not being one.

"Ms.Romanoff is requesting you both for breakfast." FRIDAY says from above.

"Let's go eat Mace." Bruce says and I shake my head.

"You go eat, I'm not hungry." I say moving more stuff around on the hologram screens.

"You should eat-

"I'm fine." I say not looking at him.

Bruce sighs and leaves the lab.

"Where's Mason?" Natasha asks as she only sees Bruce come into the kitchen.

"She says she's not hungry. She pulled an all nighter in the lab." He says.

Natasha bites her lip looking down.

"I should go talk to her-

"Nat maybe it's best if she has her space right now. She lost her whole team." Rhodey tells her softly.

"But she can't not eat." She says.

"She'll eat sooner or later. She just needs time." He says and she hesitantly nods.

My jaw clenches as I feel helpless not knowing what to do.

"What kind of sick joke was this Charles? Destiny? *groans* And my dumb ass let myself believe it." I say to myself shaking my head my eyes glossing over.

Flashback

I was in the training room with Cyclops as we sparred. He was dominating the whole fight until I'm dropped to the ground and I don't bother getting up.

The big doors are heard opening then Charles rolls in with a red cloaked man by his side.

"You're distracted Mason." Charles says as I sigh getting up dusting my clothes off.

"I'm not distracted." I shake my head then look at the man by his side.

"And you are?" I ask raising an eyebrow.

"This is my friend Doctor Stephen Strange. He's a sorcerer." Charles introduces him.

"Pleasure to make your acquaintance." He says extending a hand out for me to shake.

"Same, Mason Rogers." I say taking his hand somewhat hesitantly.

"I know who you are, Charles and I were just talking about you." He says looking over to Charles.

"Oh yeah, what about?" I raise an eyebrow looking between the two of them.

"Just about how great of a leader you are." Charles says.

"Thanks?" I say as it comes out more of a question since I'm pretty sure that's not it.

"Mason you need to prepare yoursel-

"There it is!" I scoff shaking my head.

"I don't want to hear the same destiny bull crap Charles." I sigh.

"It's not bull crap you need to prepare yourself." He insists.

"And when is this gonna happen? Now? *looks around panicky* Now?!" I say obviously not taking him seriously.

The other X-Men stifling their laughter.

"Mason this is something to be taken seriously." Strange says calmly but seriously.

"Look, Mr.Houdini. If you guys want me to take this seriously then tell me what's really going on." I tell him.

Before either of them can respond sirens and red flashing lights are heard from above.

"X-Men suit up!" I command as we rush out the training room.

I shake my head licking my dry lips. I get up leaving the lab making my way to the garage.

"Where are you going?" Natasha asks with the others behind her.

"I need to go to the mansion, find some answers so I can find Tony and Peter." I say shaking my head still making my way to the jet.

"How do we know you'll come back?" She asks.

"You don't." I respond over my shoulder.

Natasha's jaw clenches opening her mouth to say something but Rocket beats her to it.

"I'll go with her, to make sure she comes back." He tells the blonde woman.

"How do we know you'll come back?" Steve asks.

"You kidding? This place is great. I'll make sure we both come back." Rocket tells them and rushes to catch up to Mason.

"Hang on." I hear Rocket say as I get inside the ship.

X Mansion

"*whistles* You live there?" Rocket asks over my shoulder as I land the Blackbird.

"Yup, home sweet home." I sigh, shutting off the ship.

We get inside to see the empty and overly quiet mansion. Everyone gone which to me was unfair, everyone I lived with, became a accustomed to seeing everyday gone. I go to multiple rooms reminicing old memories with the team. Rocket was just taking a tour of the big place giving me some space. I snoop through Charles's things to see if he was hiding anything from me that would shed some light on this situation but coming back empty handed. Having nothing else better to do I go to my room looking through my stuff. Wanting my spirits to be lifted I go inside my closet grabbing a box that was on the top shelf, opening it taking a small envelope. I rip it open revealing the folded piece of paper taking a seat on my bed.

Mason Rogers was the closest friend I had. She was always there for me as I was for her. She always found a way to make me laugh when I was stressed or sad. Always the first one to offer her help when I needed something. She was a fighter. The first one to go in the line of fire when trouble struck. She put everyone else before herself. I admired and hated that at the same time. She was one to never give up, always finding a way to solve a problem. She was an avenger ever since she was born until the day she died. And I'm sad that I'll never be able to say all of these things to her.

Mason, I hope you and Steve work it out up in heaven. You deserve to be happy and at peace.

I love you so much Mace.

Peggy Carter

I finish reading the letter then realize I have tears running down my face. I quickly wipe them away with a sniff.

"You okay?" Rocket asks standing by the door frame.

"How long have you been there?" I ask.

"Long enough." He responds softly.

"*clears throat* There's nothing here to help, lets go." I say getting up.

"Mason, you okay?" He asks sincerely and I nod wiping more tears that were flowly down.

"Let's go." I rasp.