Chapter 7

*Steve's POV*

We sat at the table. Well, Stark and I did. There wasn't anyone else. Banner had jumped out of the hovercraft and Aurora and Thor had been in the cage Loki had been in. He just pressed a button and they were both gone.

She is gone.

Even if we did know where the cage had landed, she is gone. Nobody could have survived something like that. Stark didn't say a word when we were told about her. I know that she is the only person Stark cares about more than himself. She's family. And now that she is gone, he is very angry.

"What am I going to tell her parents?" I could hear him mutter before he shook his head. He looked at the man who came into the room to tell us what happened to Aurora and Thor.

"So, you think she's dead, but you don't have any confirmation?" Stark asked.

"There is no way she could have made it, sir." The man said, before leaving the room.

So, now Stark and I are here. The only ones left.

"These were in Phil Coulson's jacket. I guess he never did get you to sign them." Fury said, throwing some cards in my direction. They had spots of blood on them.

"We're dead in the air. Our communication, the location of the cube is gone, Banner, Aurora, and Thor-" Fury sighed and looked down before looking back up at us.

"-I got nothing for you. I lost my one good eye. Maybe, I had this coming. Yes, we were going to build with the Tesseract." Fury admitted.

I looked away in disappointment.

How did this all happen? How did I let myself get involved in this? I lost everything, gave up everything, for this damn cube. I looked at the cards, slowly putting them down. This was a never ending trial of events. It's seventy years later and I meet people, good people, who I come to care about.

And within moments they are gone. Just like that.

"There was an idea. Stark knows about it. It's called the Avengers Initiative. The idea was to bring together a group of people remarkable to see if they could become something more. To see if they could work together when we needed them to. To fight the battles that we never could. Phil Coulson died still believing in that idea. In heroes." Fury said.

Stark threw back his chair and Fury and I watched him as he walked out of the room.

"Well, it's an old fashion notion." Fury said.

*Aurora's POV*

After Thor got up, he began to walk around, trying to locate his hammer. We were in a field with tall grass and a bunch of wildflowers. If we hadn't fallen thousands of feet, I would feel at peace in the field.

"Thank you, Thor." I whispered. My voice hoarse from the screaming I did when we fell.

"You don't have to thank me." He said, looking down at his hammer in the ground.

"If you wouldn't have done anything, I would be dead right now." I said.

He was quiet and continued to stare at his hammer in the ground.

*Steve's POV*

I slowly got up and followed Stark. I followed him down to the room that held the cage. The cage Loki was supposed to be in. I can't believe he got away. I can't believe he got away with what he did to Aurora, Thor, and Phil.

"Knew them well?" I asked, knowing already Aurora was his niece, but what kind of relationship did he have with Phil and Thor?

"Not Thor. Phil helped us a lot. He was a good man." Stark said, looking at the empty spot where the cage used to be.

"As far as family goes, were you and Aurora close?" I asked.

"Her mom is my younger sister. She brought a lot of light into our lives. My dad was kind of distance. But when Aurora came along, it was like he all of a sudden knew how to be a grandpa. Aside from the fact he wanted to kill my sister's husband, he loved that little girl more than anything. I can't blame him because I love her more than anything." Stark said, before stopping. After a moment, he continued.

"Aurora was a twenty-one year old girl who should have been in the middle of her college years and out partying with her friends. She shouldn't of been here trying to work on a damn cube from outer space."

"I'm sorry, Tony. She was a smart, nice, young woman." I said.

Tony looked at me funny, before he began talking.

"Oh, please. Don't tell me you have some crush on her now." He said, sarcastically before rolling his eyes.

I remained quiet. Aurora caught my attention the moment I met her in Germany. I remember it all too well. Her hair flowing and the white dress that clung to her.

"Thought so." I heard Stark whisper.

"She wasn't always smart though."

"Why? Because she tried to put Loki back in the cage?" I asked.

"Yeah, she should've waited." He said.

"She was with Thor and she was doing her job." I said.

"No, this is way out of her league. Hers and Phil's." Stark said, getting upset.

"Sometimes there isn't a way out, Tony." I said.

"Right, I've heard that one before." He whispered.

"Is this the first time you lost a soldier?" I asked.

"We are not soldiers! She isn't a soldier! She's my niece. I'm not marching to Fury's fife." He said, getting angry.

"Neither am I. He's got the same blood on his hands that Loki does. But right now we have to put that behind us and get this done. For Aurora and Phil. Loki needs a power source. If we can put together a list-" I said, before Tony cut me off.

"He made it personal."

"That's not the point." I said, getting frustrated.

"That is the point. That's Loki's point. He hit us all right where we live. Why?"

"To tear us apart." I said.

"Yeah, divide and conquer is great but he knows he has to take us out to win, right? That's what he wants. He wants to beat us and be seen doing it. He wants an audience." Stark pointed out.

"Right, I caught his act in Stuttgart." I said, remembering how I met Aurora.

"Yeah, that's just the previews. This is going to be opening night." Stark said.

Tony is getting at something here.

"And Loki, he's a full tilt diva, right? He wants flowers, parades, a monument built to the sky with-"

I watched as Tony realized what Loki's next move was going to be. I gave him a look.

"-his name plastered-son of a bitch." He said. We quickly began to come up with our next plan.

*Aurora's POV*

I watched as Thor picked up his hammer. I had finally began to breathe normal since what we went through.

"Thor, we have to get to New York. That's the closest place I can think off. My Uncle has a building there." I said.

He nodded, as I walked over to him.

Suddenly, the wind began to whip around us and I hung onto Thor. He lifted his hammer towards the sky as thunder boomed around us. Lightening struck his hammer. We flew up into the air as the wind continued to blow around us.