Chapter 13: Sunday Together

"Wake up sleepyhead," Chris laid on his stomach beside his sleeping sister.
"5 more minutes," stirred Shania.
"Come on," Chris tapped Shania's cheeks.
"Ughh okay okay!" Shania said giving up.
"There we go! Good morning sweetie," Chris stretched and kissed his sister on her forehead.

Chris has been looking forward to this Sunday's hike since Shania showed him a picture of someone on Instagram, and Shania doesn't show it but she's happy that at least she doesn't get drowned in work on Sundays. 

At the Nature Reserve

"Umm Chris, the sign here says that there are monkeys and snakes and monitor lizards around," Shania worriedly calls out to her brother who is a couple of steps behind her.
"Don't worry, I'm here with you," Chris reassured his sister.
"But I don't like this at all, what if the bite or scratch me? Can we just go home, please?" Begged the scared Shania.
"Hey, look at me. I told you that I'm here and it will be okay," Chris cupped Shania's chin.

After an hour, the siblings reached the rest stop and the ranger's station. As they were hydrating themselves, a monkey came and snatched a banana from another hiker who is seated on the bench next to them. Seeing what happened, Shania shrieked and end up sitting on Chris's lap as she tightly grabbed him. All Chris did was to laugh along with all the other present hikers who saw the commotion and saw Shania. Chris had to calm Shania down before they continued the hike.

The highlight of the hike was the free-standing suspension bridge, it is 250 meters long and suspended over 25 meters. When the siblings reached the bridge, they enjoyed the breathtaking views and took a couple of pictures together to commemorate the hike.

On their way back, Shania started to complain that she was tired.
"Chris, how long more? I'm really tired," whined Shania.
"We just have another 3 kilometers to conquer and we'll be back to the carpark," replied Chris.

When the siblings finally reached the car, Chris hugged Shania and praised her for completing the hike with him to which Shania just smiled goofily. 

"Okay, let's grab a quick brunch before we head home," Chris said while starting up the engine.
"Yay," cheered Shania.

During brunch, the siblings exchanged the memories they made during the hike and laughed at the memory of the monkey sighting. 

"Okay, let's go home and get showered," Chris told his sister after he signed the bill.
"Can we catch a movie, please?" Asked Shania with her hands clasped together.
Seeing that and the fact that she's been a trooper the entire morning, Chris couldn't say no.
"Of course. Let's head home and shower. I'll check the movie timings and book it when we get home," Chris replied while messing up his sister's hair.

The siblings had an enjoyable Sunday. They even did a little shopping at the supermarket after the movie. They ordered pizza for dinner and wound up the day with Shania watching television and Chris reading a book beside her. Shania ends up falling asleep on the couch with her head resting on her brother's lap. 

--------

Author's Note:

Thank you for bearing with me even though I hardly update.
I work full-time and also study at the side. So this series is really just a personal project. I don't usually know what my next chapter will look like. So please don't keep your hopes up for me to update regularly.

I will try to update as much as possible.

Thank you for the encouraging comments, the bookmarks, and the votes! I really appreciate all of it.