1

The room was silent, except for the rhythmical beeping emitting from the heart monitor next to him. The green lines shot up every two seconds, monitoring the heart rate of the dying girl. The room smelled of used bed pans and latex gloves, but it wasn't anything he wasn't used to. Tha air was cold and it felt like ice against his skin, in contrast to the burning adrenaline running through his veins. The lights that dimmed the room flickered every so often; one on the left and two on the right. No doctors came in yet, but her time was coming soon. He could feel it; it was like a clock ticking in the back of his mind, counting down the seconds until she took her last breath.

He waited, but there was silence.

He looked over at the young girl curiously, sitting up in the chair next to her bed. Her skin was as white as snow, and her eyes were practically sewn shut. No movement came from the still body; only the occasional rise and fall of her chest. The machine she was hooked up to was the only thing giving her life. Her brain was dead, and her heart should've stopped beating, but her parents refused to pull the plug. Stupid, they were. The longer they kept her alive, the longer it would take for them to detach themselves from who she once was. They were keeping a corpse alive when she should have been dead and six feet under.

He seemed unfazed when a few doctors came into the room and he didn't move an inch, watching as they walked over to the bed. They couldn't see him anyway, unless he wanted them to. Following behind them was a short nurse and a couple who were only a few inches taller than her, presumably the mother and father. They were both distraught and reeked of grief, but the father held his composure. It was surprising, though. No parent would want to see their nine year old daughter like this.

"We can keep her on if that's what you want," one of the doctors said. "You don't have to do this now."

The mother shook her head slowly, bringing her hand up to cover her mouth as she swallowed down a sob. "W-We have to. She needs to be at peace."

"And this is okay with you as well, sir?" A nurse asked, looking towards the father. He simply nodded, not finding the strength to spit out any words. There weren't any words, anyways. His daughter was going to die and he'd have to live with that. The nurse and the doctors looked at one another before they all gave each other a solemn nod, the mood shifting from an anxious one to a more expecting one. One of the male doctors stepped towards the head of the hospital bed and he reached over the small girl, his fingers wrapping around the butt of the plug that was attached to an outlet in the wall. He said a silent prayer to himself before he drew his arm back, the plug coming with him.

The lights began to flicker over head and he stood from the chair, straightening his shirt out. The floor began to shake beneath him and he listened as the beeping sped up on the machine. The room was quiet as her heart rate increased, then it slowed down, then it stopped comeptlely. The noise from the flatline could be heard all around them and the mother dropped to her knees, watching her daughter take her last few breaths. She kept saying "my baby" over and over again, but no matter how many times she said it, her baby just wasn't coming back.

That was when he felt the presence behind him, and it was almost...calm. He turned around to face the little girl, and there she was, looking more alive than ever. Her hands were folded together in front of her as she watched the doctors pull the blanket up and over her face, and a single tear slid down her cheek. He crouched down in front of her and her gaze averted to him, her blue eyes reading nothing but fear.

"What happened?" She asked, her soft voice ringing in his ears agonizingly.

"I will explain it later," he said sweetly, holding out his hand. "You will be safe with me. Okay?"

"Will I see my mommy and daddy again?"

He was deciding if he should lie to her, but then again there wasn't anything to lie about. She was dead; she wasn't going to see them for a very long time.

"No," he whispered, watching as more tears fell from her eyes. "But I will take care of you. Come."

He held out his hand a little more and the girl looked down at it then back at him. Slowly, she raised her small hand and she placed it in his, allowing him to pull her closer to him and once she was close enough, he wrapped his arms around her as tight as he could. The ground beneath them started to shake harder and he could hear the cries of pain that fell from her lips, but he blocked them out, shutting his eyes as he went to work. Behind his eyelids, he could see everything that happened to her in the last moments of her life. The busy highway. The speeding car, the fatal crash. He could taste the thick, warm blood on his tongue, the same blood that poured from her mouth when her sister's car collided with another. He could feel the cracking of her ribs inside him, the snapping bones in her neck, and the blunt force that was directed towards her head. The same force that killed her. He could feel it all, and it was far too much for him, but then it stopped. The room stopped shaking, the lights stopped flickering, and the girl that was once in his arms was now a pile of black dust at his feet. He opened his eyes and he looked down at the dust, standing to his feet. He raised his hand slowly and the dust rose with it, his eyes staying fixated on the debris. With one flick of his wrist, it was gone, and it was over. He looked behind him to see that the mother and father were now alone, and the doctors had already began to make plans to send the body to the mortician. He turned back around and he walked out of the room, blinking hard. He could feel the familiar substance leaking from his eyes and he wiped it quickly, looking down at his hands afterwards. They were covered in black liquid, almost like paint, but it dispersed right there on his hands as if it was never there.

He made his way to the main lobby of the hospital and his brother was leaning against the wall, a stoic expression drawn on his face.

"Did you do it?" He asked once his brother neared him, his eyes flicking to his.

"What you think?"

"I take it as a yes," he sighed, pushing himself up off the wall. "Who was it?"

"It was a little girl, Laurent. She was nine."

Laurent nodded and he raised his hand, placing his palm on his brother's shoulder. "That is not the youngest, and it will not be the last. Let's go."

With that, Laurent backed up and he turned on his heel, walking through the doors of the hospital. Larry ran a hand over his face before he followed him, shaking his head as he thought about it. He hated doing children. The look they had in their eyes before they left was so heartbreaking, but it's what he had to do. What they had to do. What made it worse was that both of them could feel each other's emotions, and they knew when they were thinking too deeply about something.

"Nobody said it will be easy, Larry," Laurent huffed, stopping in the middle of the parking lot. He waited for Larry to get next to him and when he did, he simply shrugged, looking at his brother tiredly.

"I know," he said. "It's just hard."

"It is not hard. People die. You make it hard because you think of it too much."

"You don't get it, Lau. You do not care like I do-"

"I care the same as you."

The coldness of his brother's voice was enough to make him shut up and he did just that, looking down at his feet. "Let's go."

Laurent nodded once and he placed his arm on Larry's shoulder nonchalantly, the both of them shutting their eyes. Within seconds, their once detailed and defined physiques were now a black mist that flowed with the wind, heading home.

☮️

This is my first supernatural story and if someone of you have been following me for a while, you know this is one of the stories on my old account sincerelybourgeois . I hope you guys enjoy this one ❤️ x Rose