Part 3

I paced in circles. He knows my name! How? Did he know me when I was... When I was alive? I sat against the wall. This is just... No. I hate my name and I almost never use it!

*Flashback*

"Ava!" My mom called.

"Yes?"

"I need you here for a second."

I walked down the hall to her room.

"What is it?"

She pointed at the mirror.

"What do you see?"

I stared.

"Me. And you."

"No, not that. Look deeper."

I squinted at the mirror, until my nose was up against the slick surface.

"I don't see anything. Just my face."

Suddenly a pain erupted in my back and I gasped, something warm trickling down my shirt. A knife was lodged in my flesh. I struggled to breath, heaving deep breath on the ground.

"Mom!" I shrieked, tears pouring down my face. "Why?"

She leaned in, grinning wickedly.

"Ava." She said sharply.

"You are a mistake."

I lay on the ground sobbing, my vision blurring as I saw her leaving. I numbly pulled the blanket off her bed, wrapping it around the wound and pressing. I lay there gasping, dull, throbbing pain making it's way through me.

"Mom." I whispered, her words echoing through my mind. I saw her face in the doorway, a twisted sneer that scarred my memory.

"You were never meant to be born."

*End of flashback*

I fingered the scars on my back. My name. A terrible thing that I put out of my mind. Suddenly wind kicked up, and I groaned. I had given this world another hint as to what made me feel fear. Grey soot pounded against me, and I hunched down, determined not to let anything happen to me.

When the wind died down, I saw nothing. What was going on? Suddenly, I felt a tingling in my back. I sighed, relieved it wasn't to bad, but the feeling grew. Soon I was screaming, fighting the rage of pain blazing across me.

That's when it hit me. I had to escape. If I could escape. I could start over. Have a new identity. Be the person my brother was.

Whatever it took, however long it would take, I swore to myself: I will escape this.