51. the flight of the Fat Lady

     RON WAS STILL IN A BAD MOOD WITH HERMIONE THE NEXT DAY

RON WAS STILL IN A BAD MOOD WITH HERMIONE THE NEXT DAY. He barely talked to her all Herbology, even though he, Harry, Hermione and Harper were working together on the same Puffapod.

"How's Scabbers?" Hermione asked timidly, as they stripped fat pink pods from the plants and emptied the shining beans into a wooden pail. Harper knew this was her way of saying sorry.

"He's hiding at the bottom of my bed, shaking," Ron said angrily, missing the pail and scattering beans over the greenhouse floor.

"Careful, Weasley, careful!" Professor Sprout cried, as the beans burst into bloom before their very eyes.

They had Transfiguration next. Harry had told Harper he would ask McGonagall after the lesson whether he could go into Hogsmeade. However, both Potter siblings got distracted by Lavender who seemed to be crying. Parvati had her arm around her, and was explaining something to Seamus and Dean, who were looking very serious.

"What's the matter, Lavender?" Hermione asked their dorm mate anxiously, as she, Harry, Ron and Harper went to join the group.

"She got a letter from home this morning," Parvati whispered. "It's her rabbit, Binky. He's been killed by a fox."

"Oh," Hermione said. "I'm sorry, Lavender."

"I should have known!" Lavender exclaimed tragically. "You know what day it is?"

"Er . . ."

"The sixteenth of October! That thing you're dreading, it will happen on the sixteenth of October! Remember? She was right, she was right!"

The whole class was gathered around Lavender now. Seamus shook his head seriously. Hermione hesitated; then she said, "You — you were dreading Binky being killed by a fox?"

"Well, not necessarily by a fox," Lavender said, looking up at Hermione with streaming eyes, "but I was obviously dreading him dying, wasn't I?"

"Oh," Hermione said. She paused again. Then—

"Was Binky an old rabbit?"

"N-no!" Lavender sobbed. "H-he was only a baby!"