Chapter 7

The next day Grace decided she would go to Anne's house to check on Ruby as that was where she was staying. Gilbert had gone to help rebuild the Gillis house and so she hadn't much else to do. Once she got there she tapped on the door; it swung open to reveal Marilla Cuthbert.

"Good Morning Miss Cuthbert I came to check on Ruby. I hope they're awake?" She asked playing with the hem of her blue dress. 

"Oh no the girls have been up a while, very nice of you to come." Miss Cuthbert said, ushering Grace in so that she was stood in the hallway. 

Grace was about to respond when she caught sight of her friends sitting at the table. 

"Oh Ruby!" She exclaimed running toward her as the girl stood up and throwing her arms around her. "I'm so glad you're alright! When Gilbert came and said there was a fire I didn't even know what to think." Grace couldn't help but feeling a bit of regret when she saw jealousy flash through Ruby's eyes at Gilbert's name. But the girl didn't say anything of it so she let it go. 

Anne suggested that they might bake something for the boys so we could go give it to them, for strength of course and not just because Ruby wanted to see Gilbert, which she made sure to confirm many times. They baked together, causing a mess of flour all about the place and when finished was scolded by Miss Cuthbert as they giggled and got told to clean up. 

The short walk was pleasant for Grace as she zoned out of the conversation Anne and Ruby were having, most likely about Gilbert, and instead thought about all the things she could be when she was older. Her father didn't make much of a habit of restricting her and would be happy, or at least his version of it, if she were married or not. Marriage wasn't really her big concern but rather having a career she will enjoy meaning one where she can travel and meet new people. 

Grace was lost in thought even as they walked onto the Gillis property and was only pulled out of her reverie when Ruby flopped on her butt onto the ground. Distinctly she heard Anne shouting at Billy but instead Grace focused on helping her friend up.

"Thanks for coming along to feed the bests," When Grace finally stood properly up, Ruby on her arm she was met with the face of Gilbert and she felt her heart begin to beat faster as butterflies flew about in her stomach. 

"Oh hi Gil, It was Anne's idea actually. I just wanted an excuse to see how the house was coming along." Grace smiled, directing her gaze toward the house where the men worked. "It looks like it's progressing well." 

"Yeah there's only a few major repairs. Well thank you," He said taking a scone from the basket and sending Ruby an awkward smile as she stared at him. "I better get back to work." 

"Isn't he dreamy." Ruby sighed wistfully as they walked off. 

The next few days passed and finally the Gillis house was repaired and school had begun again. Grace didn't like to admit it but she was happy that she would have an excuse to see Gilbert again, it wasn't that she liked him, no it wasn't. It was because she missed the friendly companionship and intelligent conversation. When he wasn't there to meet her she waited a short while then continued to school only slightly disheartened. 

The school day passed and when there was no sign of him she resolved to go to his house after school and see what the matter was. After all there was nothing wrong with being concerned for a friend right? 

"Gil? Gilbert? Grace called. She was used to the Blythe household now and was allowed to enter whenever she liked. When silence was the only response she wandered further into the house. She hadn't expected to see him and thought he must be chopping wood outside but something compelled her to walk upstairs instead of Mr Blythe's room to ask him. Yet there he was sat at the edge of his bed staring at the wall in front of him.

"Gilbert? What's wrong?" Grace gasped rushing forward and kneeling in front of him. When he stayed silent she immediate knew. Mr Blythe had passed. It was going to happen soon, he had recently been coughing more and wasn't able to even step out of bed. 

Grace didn't say a word. Only wrapped her arms around his shoulders as tight as she could. Shuffling forward so she was between his knees. When his arms finally wrapped around her waist she could feel his breath begin to quicken and become ragged as he broken down in tears and cried into her shoulder.