Yennefer of Vengerberg

A week had gone by since Yennefer started her new life in court, she was already bored out of her mind. King Virfuril was a fool who only ever wanted to sleep with her, Yennefer complied, saying no was not an option. The days felt endless, she often wondered where she might have been had things gone differently. There was no use in thinking these thoughts; it was a waste of energy, Yennefer knew, yet couldn't quite find it in herself to stop. The result was her control slipping away in favor of pure chaos, as Tissaia always called it. If all the days were going to be like this, Yennefer would go mad. She needed to find something to keep her busy, though she wasn't sure what would keep her the sanest. She ended up researching dark magic, only a little bit, then a little more.

It will not hurt to learn, I need this , she thought. She would never use too much of it, never sacrifice herself using her soul as balance when casting a powerful spell. No one in Aedirn was worth dying for, even if Yennefer herself did not mind dying. She learned a lot, growing more and more powerful without realizing it. Still, she did not have much practice using her magic out of court, in situations where her life would depend on it. Since most if not all of Aedirn's issues were political, her magic was never needed.

Three decades passed; many years wasted. Yennefer was sitting in her room reading a letter from her former mistress, Tissaia de Vries, when she was told to meet with King Virfuril. He instructed her to accompany his wife, The Queen, on a long journey. She was not excited, but at least it was better than being stuck in the castle.

"I know what they say, poor Queen Kalis, another girl," The Queen said. "I mean, I'm just a womb to him," she continued. "No more than a fleshy contraption for squeezing out heirs, bastard cares more about his hounds than he does me." Queen Kalis looked over at Yennefer. "Take her," she said as she handed her over to a mortified Yennefer, who had no idea how to care for a child.

"Why don't you stay in Lyria? Keep me company," The Queen asked, surprising Yennefer.

"As soon as I've delivered Your Majesty safely back to court, I'm afraid I must return to Aedirn," Yennefer answered sadly, she would have loved to leave Aedirn.

"I envy you. Truly. A king's mage," Queen Kalis looked over at Yennefer, who seemed lost in her thoughts.

"Oh, come, now. We've been traveling together for days. Speak freely," she continued, giving Yennefer a small smile.

"I love... That I traded everything to get my seat at court. I love that I believed that it would all be worth it, that this would be my legacy," Yennefer sighed. "The greatest mage to have ever graced a court. And I really, really love... that instead, I've gotten to spend the last... three decades cleaning up stupid political messes. Glorified royal arse wiper,"

Queen Kalis had glanced at her, not taking but a second to respond. "I have it far worse," she said. "People look at you for who you are, not for what you can give them. You made the right choice, giving all that nonsense up. To this baby, I am the whole world. If only it weren't so boring," Yennefer did not agree, feeling like no one saw her for who she was, only for what she could provide them.

Before they could continue the conversation the carriage was brought to a halt. What is going on? Yennefer thought, feeling rather uneasy. Suddenly some sort of blade cut through multiples sides of the carriage, the guards outside were screaming while being slaughtered. Do something, anything, she told herself, she was almost frozen.

Then the screaming stopped, all but the wind fell silent. Maybe it was over? Yennefer scolded herself for even thinking it would be so easy. She got up and exited the carriage, looking around trying to figure out who or what did this. The sight that met her would nauseate most, the guards were dead; all missing multiple body parts. Such a horrid sight. Looking to the left she spotted the assailants, an assassin and some sort of pet monster? Fuck! I have no clue what that thing is, it does not look pleasant in the slightest. She was freaking out. She did not have time to freak out, they would all die if she didn't do something, anything.

"Run!" Yennefer yelled, opening a portal whilst doing so. They all ran into her portal, safe from the attacker.

The Queen instantly started yelling about how she was going to have the brigand's head on a spike, Yennefer did not listen. That was an assassin, a seemingly powerful one at that. Fuck ! She had no idea where to take them next.

Not sure what to say, she decided to tell the truth. "That was an assassin," she simply stated. The Queen instantly stopped yelling, looking at Yennefer like she had gone mad.

"What are you saying?" she replied after a few seconds.

"It appears you've run out of chances to provide your King a male heir," Yennefer continued. She was not at all surprised by the events unfolding in front of her, King Virfuril wanted a male heir, he did not wish to wait any longer. She was however saddened to find out how little she meant to him, though that should not have come as a surprise either.

"No, he wouldn't," Queen Kalis answered sharply, she looked over at Yennefer whose only response was a slight nod, confirming what she had said earlier.

"Oh, that prick!" she yelled angrily, making Yennefer wish she lost the ability to hear. All the screaming and yelling had given her a headache, something she did not appreciate. She had always felt that headaches should be reserved for people who either worried too much, or cared too much, neither which fit Yennefer. She did not worry, so she should not be getting a headache.

Yennefer was tempted to make a witty remark when the familiar sound of a portal opening graced her ears. She was pulled out of her thoughts, suddenly thankful that The Queen's nagging hadn't made her deaf after all.

Once again she opened up a portal, yelling for them to run to safety, landing with a hard thud. Despite the exhaustion building, the realization dawned upon her.

Shit, we're being tracked!