Chapter V: Guardian's Worries

What's happened to him?

Why is he so... distant?

Does it have something to do with the cactus?

The same 3 questions were spiraling in Pearl's mind as she sat alone in the living room of the beach house. Steven had changed drastically since they last talked. He rarely left his room, safe for when he wanted to eat or use the bathroom, and even then, he rarely ate as well.

The Cactus Steven incident left the Crystal Gems worried about the young man. They wanted Steven to open up about how he felt, but he closed himself off before they got the chance to ask him.

Out of the 3 Gems, Pearl worried the most. She had caught a glimpse at Steven's bottled up emotions when he snapped at the Reef, with Volleyball as a witness. She understood why Steven wouldn't want to open up about a situation involving his mother, because he didn't want to hurt anybody. Not after what they've been through.

But Steven didn't know how Pearl felt. He didn't know (or care much) about how anyone felt at this point. His experience in his mother's room had really marked him. He wanted to seek help, but wasn't willing to be a burden on someone's shoulders.

Right as he loses himself to his thoughts, he hears his phone ring. He picks it up to see that Greg is attempting to call him. 

He rejects the call. He would rather talk to people in person than on the phone. He decides that he's not gonna spend all day in his room and gets up to go to the Car Wash.