Skates

Jaren drowsily opens his eyes and squints at the light streaming in. He turns to his side and smiles when he sees John already awake and watching him. The brunette taps his boyfriend's nose and giggles when he scrunches it.

"Good morning, Jaren."

"Morning loser. How long you been staring at me for?" he asks jokingly.

John chuckles quietly, his voice thick with fatigue. "Not long enough." He wraps an arm around Jaren and pulls him close. It'd been two years since they'd admitted their feelings for each other and yet John never failed to make Jaren's stomach flip whenever he said something so damned cute.

They lie like that, a tangle of limbs in a comfortable silence, savouring the steady sound of each other breathing and the warmth of the sun as it kisses their faces through a crack in the curtains. Jaren inhales John's distinct scent and sighs.

"Let's just stay here for the rest of today," he murmurs against John's chest.

"And do what? We'll get bored."

"Oh I'm sure we'll find a way to entertain ourselves." Jaren smirks, placing his lips against John's neck. He revels in the way his boyfriend's breathing becomes erratic as he seats himself on top of him. John puts his hands on Jaren's waist and his grip tightens as Jaren moves to his jawline, lightly running his teeth over the warm skin.

Their moment is interrupted when a loud bark sounds and Octavia comes bounding in, sitting on John's chest. He groans in mock pain as Jaren sheepishly crawls off him and beckons Octavia, who shifts to Jaren's lap as John pulls himself up.

"So much for staying in bed all day," Jaren huffs, patting Octavia. John giggles and places a gentle kiss against his cheek.

"Let's do something fun." He thinks for a second, tapping his chin before an idea comes to him. "I'll take you to the park and teach you to rollerskate." He smiles at the innocent, unfiltered joy that explodes on Jaren's face.

"Wait, really?"

"Of course. I promised you, didn't I?"

He had indeed promised Jaren but it had been so long ago that Jaren thought John had forgotten. He watches John get out of bed and stretch tall, his fingers reaching for the ceiling.

"Up you get then," the blonde says, pulling at Jaren's arm. The two shower and grab some breakfast before heading out to the park.

It's a beautiful day outside, the sun's warmth muffled and the air telling of the winter to come. John breathes out and watches the expelled warmth evaporate into nothing. He looks over to Jaren and sees that he has finally pulled his new skates on. John stands and looks down at his boyfriend sitting on the bench.

"Ready?" He smiles. Jaren looks up and nods once, uncertain. "Relax, babe. I've got you." He puts out a hand to his boyfriend, who hesitantly clasps it with his own. John pulls Jaren up after him, gently skating backwards. Jaren is unsteady on his feet but for his first time, John is surprised he hasn't fallen.

The thought barely passes John's mind before Jaren's left leg shoots out and he yelps. John is quick though and grasps his boyfriend's arm, pulling him upright.

"Oh fuck, I just saw my life flash before my eyes," Jaren gasps. He watches John's eyes crinkle as he laughs at his exaggeration.

"You're fine, Jaren. I promise I've got you."

"Right. And who's got you when you fall?" He tilts his head up and raises an eyebrow at his boyfriend, who rolls his eyes.

"I won't fall. Besides, you'd catch me if I fell, like you did before," he says, referencing their complicated admission of feelings those years ago. John beams at Jaren, who pretends to gag.