i. the fall of cintra

˚ ·. ·
* ˚ ✵
✦ ˚ : ·
.· *
•. ✶
.· *
✵ ˚ : ·

˗ˏˋ CHAPTER ONE... ࿐ྂ

━━  ੈ✩ the fall of cintra ˎˊ˗

━━ ੈ✩ the fall of cintra ˎˊ˗

NO MERCY WAS SHOWN TO THE CITIZENS OF CINTRA. The Nilfgaardian soldiers brutally murdered innocent people, leaving no prisoners behind. Cutting their throats, chopping their limbs off, and more inhumane ways that would make anyone shudder. The bloodcurdling screams were the worst part. You could feel the pain laced through their voice as their cries echoed throughout the burning kingdom.

As Nilfgaard rained hell down upon the citizens, Juliana and the others were currently making their way through the tunnels of Cintra. Mousesack led the way, his torch shining bright, casting light upon the stone walls. Ciri squeezed Juliana's hand, walking so close to her that she was practically glued to her side. Nearing the exit, Mousesack dropped his torch, causing Lazlo to do the same. "Horses," Mousesack exclaimed, "Princess, come." He grabbed Ciri's other hand, quickly pulling her along.

"Hey!" A Nilfgaard soldier yelled, causing them to immediately turn around. Knowing that they'd need a distraction to get away, Mousesack came up with a plan.

"Keep going," Mousesack ushered the princess.

"No," Ciri said with a shake of her head.

"Princess, I gave your grandmother my word," he told her, squeezing her hand lightly, "allow me to keep it." He nodded sternly, "Go." Juliana gulped thickly as she pulled Ciri alongside her and up towards the horses.

"My grandmother said I had to leave. Why? Why is Nilfgaard here? Why does the world depend on it?" Ciri questioned, her little brain desperately raking for answers.

Lazlo lifted Ciri up onto the horse, "Hold on, Your Highness." As soon as she was situated, he too climbed on. Juliana grunted as she struggled to hop onto the other horse, but she eventually succeeded. Her breath caught in the back of her throat as a Nilfgaardian soldier turned the corner on his horse. Except this soldier was different from the rest, looking as if he was a commander of sorts, due to his winged helmet.

"Hyah!" Lazlo yelled, causing the horse to take off. Juliana followed shortly behind them, feeling the icy wind blow through her white hair. "We're getting close to the gate!" Clenching his jaw, The Nilfgaardian swiftly took his bow out, aiming his arrow straight for Lazlo.

Ciri furrowed her eyebrows, "I've been protected my whole life, Lazlo. Why?" Juliana gasped as an arrow suddenly flew past her, sinking itself into Lazlo's neck. His body began to tumble sideways, pulling Ciri along with him. Juliana pulled back on the reins to make her horse stop, immediately hopping down onto the ground. The horse snorted as it took off in a different direction. She ran over towards them, kneeling beside Lazlo as she shook his shoulders.