A Shadow In the Light

??? POV

     I watch, as I always have, as the Radio Demon takes out the snake like demon with his powers. I lurk around watching the scene in shadow form of a cat, my usual. Keeping to the shadows, hoping one of the Radio Demons abilities isn't sensing auras.

     I hear him talk about making some Jambalaya so, I know to slink into rat form to sneak into the kitchen. I need to keep an eye on the Radio Demon until I know that he can be trusted around here.

     Once I get into the kitchen they haven't made it into there yet so, I shrink into an even smaller form; a spider; and crawl into a far corner and perch on top of a cabinet.

     I see the Radio Demon come in first. Then,  Charlie, Vaggie, Angel, and the two others. I just happened to be outside when they got here so, I couldn't hear anything that happened which frustrates me.

     The Radio Demon starts getting out a pan and some ingredients from the fridge and has the others help him. Soon enough they have the Jambalaya on the stove cooking away. While, they were cooking the Radio Demon glances in my direction and seems to tense up for a moment. Then, relax again and continue cooking as if he didn't just notice my presence.

     There's no way he physically saw me considering I'm in shadow form AND hidden in a shadow meaning I'm practically melted into the shadow I'm hiding in. He must of sensed my aura that had to be it. Damn, it was my only weakness; demons who could sense auras. They knew I was there no matter what.

     I realize while I was panicking that I should of been trying to sneak out. But, it's too, late the Radio Demon has convinced the others to go and do something else while he finishes the cooking.

     He looks up to the shadow that I was hiding in but, not directly at me. Suddenly I'm picked up by my tiny spider abdomen by...another shadow? And brought down and set on the counter. Guess I will just play this off and hopefully he doesn't tell anyone I was here so that boss doesn't punish me.

     "Where is your owner?" He asked coolly but, threateningly.

     I decide that he thinks I'm a minion shadow. I can't help but, laugh it's just to halarious. Me? A shadow MINON?! While, I laugh uncontrollably I change back into my usual form; a cat. Red yarn dangles from my ears and eyes it would flow out almost like blood if you pulled on it.

     He looks extremely annoyed and confused. "I'll only ask once again who is your owner?" He says while radio crackles around him and symbols fly. His eyes turn to dials and his horns grow. But, just as fast as he transformed he was back to "normal".

    I finally speak, " I'm sorry," I burst out laughing again, " it's just that I don't have an owner or more specifically I AM my own "owner". I-" I start laughing uncontrollably again it's just too, funny.

     " Stop messing around shadow bring me to your owner NOW" he orders sternly. Oh, boy this is halarious but, I need to stop laughing and explain to him before he loses his temper.

     I try to stop laughing and wipe a fake tear from my eye. Finally I stop laughing. "I'm serious I AM my own owner. I am a demon older than you and probably almost anyone here"

      "I don't believe you prove to me that you aren't just a shadow minion" he says not believing a word. Ugh, I really didn't want to go back to my original form so soon. It's only been 30 years since I last when to that form. I find that form painful to transform into and plus it's just uncomfortable. But, it looks like I have no choice.

     "Look most minions can't even talk and have separate thoughts but, if me talking and stuff isn't enough then I'll show you my "original" form but, I have to warn you that we are going to need to go up to the rooms and get some spare clothes first." I say original with disgust. Nothing is more disgusting than the form I used in the living world. Obviously now it's turned demon so, it's not exactly like a human body.

      "Fine, but after me and the others eat and you are to not leave my sight while, we do so" he says narrowing his eyes.

      "Ok ok, and before you go assuming I'm not here to hurt anyone but, if I wanted to I would of done so already" I mimic him having wisps of shadow drip off of me up towards the sky. I make my self grow a bit and my eyes and mouth become endless voids. My smirk growing. Instantly I snap back to normal and give him a smirk and jump over to the opposite counter and settle down a couple feet from the warm stove.

      He looks at me at first extremely confused then, with realization. "How long have you watched me?" He asks.

      I look up with a smirk "Who said I've been watching you?"

     Before he can answer Angel Dust runs in and he was about to say something, probably inappropriate, to the Radio Demon but, sees me and stops in his tracks. I look up at him and smile.

      Vaggie, Charlie, and the others all run in after Angel trying to stop him. They all stop confused wondering what made Angel stop suddenly. But, when they looked in the direction he was staring there was nothing there but the tiny shadow the oven was casting on the ground.

      "Angel? Helllllo?" Charlie asks while waving her hand in his face.

     "Huh, oh I must of been seeing things" he says. All the sudden the short girl with one eye sees something by the stove and rushes over here. She has a duster and starts dusting under the stove.

      She jabs me with the duster and I can't stop my instant reaction. I yowl like a real cat and fall out of hiding. Great, I could of perfectly gotten away just then because of that now I just have to act like a normal cat.

      I turn and hiss at the cyclops demon that had jabbed me. I give her a dirty look before jumping up on the counter and lying down glaring at her like a real cat. Come on I just gotta keep up the act.

      Charlie looks at me and gets super excited probably a little bit too, much. She runs over here. Vaggie yells at her telling her that I might be dangerous and that she should stay away. But she doesn't listen.

     "Hi kitty" she coos at me "Are you lost little buddy?" She asks. I decide at this point I'm already dead meat from the boss so, no point of hiding now.

      "My names not kitty and no I'm not lost I'm actually exactly where I'm supposed to be thank you" I retort. She looks to say the least surprised but, she's not the only one surprised by "the talking animal".

      One that looks like a cat/gambling type demon says in disbelief, "Great now I can hear cats since I AM one apparently!!"

     Vaggie says " No we ALL heard that"

     "Oh stop acting so surprised I won't be here much longer since I got caught. I will probably be killed by the boss" I say fake conflict clouding my voice.

      " Wait who hired you? Why are you here? What do you want from us?" Vaggie questions while whipping out a spear from nowhere and pointing it at me.

     " To put it as simply as possible I was hired to watch over Charlie. And I don't want anything. These are just the words of a dying creature." I let a dark chuckle escape " Or at least soon to be"

      Everyone stops to process what I just told them Angel in complete shock; Charlie looking super confused; Vaggie suspicious as always; the cat demon looking like he's going insane; the cyclops demon long gone somewhere; then the Radio Demon sitting back and watching the scene with the cold and calculating eyes of a killer.

     While they are in complete shock I take look around then hop over to the fridge, transform into a huge human cat shadow combo, and pull out the chicken salad from a couple days ago and start eating with a fork from the silver ware drawer. This puts them in even more shock because this means that I wasn't lying.

      After I finish eating I say " I'll give you guys a minute to process this mean while I'm going to take a nap. I said then, went back to a regular cat form curl up by the warm stove and close my eyes.

     I hope everything turns out ok. I hope they don't tell anybody because if they don't boss won't punish me. Those thoughts slowly drift away as I lose consciousness and drift into the world of dreams.