Handed Their Next Mystery

Joe Hardy pulled out his phone and glanced at the time. He, his older brother Frank, and their best friend Chet Morton had arrived at the train station and were just sitting down in the terminal.

"Wow, we're here rather early," he said before pocketing his phone.

Chet shrugged. "Hey, Iola wanted to get to Callie's as early as possible." His eyes narrowed. "I know those girls are planning something. Iola's been pretty secretive lately."

"Want Joe to find out why?" asked Frank, shooting his brother a sly grin.

"Hey, a girl likes keeping her secrets to herself," said Joe with a dismissive wave of his hand. He glanced at his brother with a sly grin and a twinkle in his blue eyes. "Besides, I wouldn't want to ruin their fun, especially if it's a surprise party for moi."

Frank burst out laughing. "What ever in the world makes you think that?"

Joe blinked and gasped, feigning hurt feelings. "How dare you? My birthday is coming up, so why shouldn't my girlfriend plan something special for me?"

Chet playfully pushed him. "You are so full of yourself."

Joe pushed back. "That's the beauty of being the baby in the family."

Chet scoffed. "Iola's nowhere near as bad as you." He turned to Frank. "I don't know how you put up with it."

Frank shrugged. "I kinda have no choice in the matter."

"Touche." Chet glanced between them. "So, any ideas on what kind of a case you're dad is working on now?"

Joe huffed. "No, he left for Detroit without telling us anything, and now he's only coming back to pick up Mom. Something about them needing to go undercover."

Chet's mouth opened slightly in shock. "You're kidding? You two helped him catch that gang of thieves! Well, you and your Mom, and we all helped. So why wouldn't he ask you for help now?"

"Probably because he really has to go undercover and since it's supposed to be a honeymoon, he can only have Mom along," said Frank matter-of-factly.

Joe sighed. "Yeah, it makes the most sense. But I really wanted to help!"

"Maybe we can find out if there is a way we can help from here. Maybe Dad needs someone to look up things for him without drawing attention to him and Mom."

Joe tilted head and nodded slowly. "That is an idea."

"Plus, you two can work on clues and codes which should give your dad the means to concentrate on other things," said Chet.

Frank nodded. "There is that too. And, Chief Collig might need our help."

Joe laughed. "Alright, alright, I get it. We're still needed, just not entirely in the way I wanted."

"Exactly," said Chet. "Besides, if you two are off constantly solving mysteries, we wouldn't get to spend much of the summer with you! What kind of fun is that?"

"Alright! I already gave in, OK?"

"I know, I just wanted to give you another reason for staying here."

"Well, here's one reason to want to go, dear old Aunt Trudy."

Chet scoffed. "She's only, what, thirty-eight? She's no old maid just yet."

"Well she certainly acts like it."

Frank laughed. "That is so true, though."

"But didn't you guys say you suspected there was something going on between your aunt and Jack Wayne?"