Planning a Stakeout

Joe grabbed Ken by the shoulders. "What do you mean, they're planning to blow up the building? What time?"

"I-I don't know!" exclaimed Ken. "They just said it was happening tonight! I couldn't hear more because that's when Uncle Dock saw me and came rushing after me! I jumped on my bike and high-tailed it out of there. But he was shouting that he was going to kill me when he found me!"

Laura held the boy close. "You came to the right place. We'll find a way to keep you safe."

"Speaking of, how did you find our house?" asked Joe.

Ken sniffed. "I, I asked around."

"And if Docker asks those same people, he'll be here real quick," said Frank. He glanced at his mother. "We'd better call the Chief and Dad and let them know."

Laura nodded. "I agree. Everyone up to the study, now." Laura grabbed Ken's hand and led the way up the stairs. She picked up the phone and called Fenton, putting the phone on speaker. The line went straight to voicemail. "Fenton, the boys and I have an important clue regarding the case. Call me back as soon as you get this. Love you, bye." She hung up and called Collig.

Collig answered. "Police Chief Ezra Collig speaking. What do you have for me?"

"Chief, is there any movement at the abandoned farmhouse?" asked Frank.

"None that I've heard so far. Why?"

"Ken Blake just walked in, telling us that they plan to blow up the building tonight, Ezra," said Laura.

"Oh Laura! You're back! Wait, tonight?"

"Yes!" exclaimed Ken.

"Do you know exactly what time?" asked Collig.

"Um, n-no," said Ken. "They didn't say, they saw me listening before they said."

"TOugh luck, but I'm glad you got out of there safely."

"Speaking of, Ezra, one of the men threatened to kill Ken should he find him again. Could I request that one of your men come here and be a guard for the night? Or at least until we can catch those men?"

"Hmm . . . maybe I have a better solution. Those crooks would probably have figured out Ken has gone to you with the information. What if I have one of my men take him to his house and keep him there until things blow over? Almost like a witness protection program kind of thing."

"Um, are you sure? I don't want to be too much trouble," said Ken.

"It's not like you have anywhere else to go at the moment," pointed out Joe. "Consider it temporary until we can find your real uncle."

Ken nodded. "That is a good point. Alright, it'll work."

"Great. Reilly's coming off duty here in a few minutes, I'll send him over and pick you up. Be sure to have your things ready when he does."

'Yes sir," said Ken.

"Alright. So, what did Fenton have to say?"

"He didn't say anything," said Laura. "It went straight to voicemail. I left a message for him to call us back the instant he gets it."

Collig let out a breath. "I hope he gets it soon."

"I do too, he didn't tell me when he was getting out of the meeting at Elekton."

"Well, it should be before closing time, which is around six," said Collig.

Frank and Joe glanced at the clock. It was now only three o'clock. "Do you really think they'll strike while everyone is still there?" asked Joe.