Unexpected Turn of Love

Summary: Set in S2. What if Caroline found out that Damon was bitten by Tyler? What will ensue? Will something more than friendship form between them?

It was a beautiful day, as Caroline Forbes walked into the Salvatore boarding house. She had just heard that Tyler had bitten Damon when Damon had jumped between them, saving Caroline from a phasing werewolf Tyler. Because he had saved her, he was suffering the consequences; a fatal consequence at that.

When she found him in the living room, she couldn't believe what she was seeing. He was willingly standing in the sun without his Daylight ring on. He was going to commit suicide by sunlight. She didn't want him to die in any way, shape, or form no matter what he'd done in the past and present. He didn't deserve this. And he sure as hell didn't get to die without a good-bye.

With vamp speed, she pushed him out of the sun, stopping him from killing himself.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" she yelled at him.

He looked at her from where he lay on the floor.

"What does it look like? I'm putting myself out of my misery, Blondie."

"I know you're in pain, but you don't get to do this to yourself."

That night, she sat on his bedside, as he lay in bed, dying of the werewolf bite, him a few minutes from joining the Other Side.

A few moments later, his sire soon arrived with the cure in hand.

A few minutes after his sire, Katherine, had given him the cure, he began to feel better. That made Caroline glad. She was happy that she didn't have to watch him die any time soon. Even if she did hate him at certain times. For some reason, she couldn't imagine a world without Damon Salvatore. That's when she realized something. She had feelings for him and it wasn't hate, despisement, or loathing. It was the complete opposite. She knew this feeling. She had had this feeling more than once as a human. She, Caroline Forbes, was falling in love with Damon Salvatore.

Since he was feeling better and wasn't dying any longer, she left to go home.

A few months later, after certain events, they had both fallen for each other and were a couple. And so, their story continued.