the read-through

The cast filed through into the bomb shelter for the read through, each taking their assigned places. 

"Don't forget to silence your phones" Miss Jenn called attention to the group of students to begin the day. "I realize that you all walked in here as strangers" She began.

"Actually, EJ's my cousin!" Ashlyn interrupted.

"But after today, you're a family" Miss Jenn continued, choosing to ignore Ashlyn's comment. "Please take your neighbors' hands" She instructed. 

The tension in the room rose as the cast was forced to hold hands with one another, more specifically: EJ and Ricky - opposing Troys who happened to have dated the same girl, Ricky and Nini - exes who everybody witnessed's breakup, Nini and Gina - opposing Gabriellas. 

This is going to be delightful.

"Feel each other's energy. Let the silence speak volumes" Miss Jenn continued. If this were a movie, there would be crickets chirping in the background. Miss Jenn then began singing 'We're All In This Together', holding the high note at the end for a little too long, causing confusion and worry to wash over the cast. Ashlyn applauded Miss Jenn's efforts, receiving the same looks of confusion that Miss Jenn had only just received. 

'Yeah this is starting to scare me' Morgan thought to herself. She looked over to her best friend, Emma, receiving an enthusiastic smile on her behalf. 

This is going to be a wild ride.

Big Red was appointed the role of Stage Manager as Natalie was away. The cast sat in pain and confusion once again as he tried to read out the stage directions. He tried

"And that's Act One. Let's take a break." Sighs of relief washed over the cast at the words of Miss Jenn. Morgan got up from her seat assigned 'Kelsi', ready to join Emma and her new found dance friends, however she was stopped in her tracks when Miss Jenn called out for her, "Morgan sweetie. You play piano right?" Miss Jenn asked her, earning a slight nod from Morgan. "I was thinking that, like the original movie, you could play all of the songs for the show" She suggested.

"A-all of them?" Morgan stuttered in shock. 

"Yes well, except for the 'Start of Something New' and 'Getcha Head In The Game'. Do you dance? I could maybe put you in 'Stick to the Status Quo' and 'We're All In This Together'" Miss Jenn suggested.

"Oh no sorry, do not dance. I prefer to stay behind the piano" Morgan explained quickly. 

"Oh well that's a shame. Here is all of the sheet music then" Miss Jenn said as she handed Morgan a large pile of papers. 

"I'm kinda lost. If the play is over, why would we still be dancing?" Ricky asked Carlos confused.

"It's a curtain call. You're the last two to come out. We want to bring the audience to their feet" Carlos explained.

"But why are we practicing the bows when we haven't even practiced the play?" Ricky asked, still confused.

"Because you start with the hardest dance that takes the longest to learn. It's in The Big Book of Broadway" Carlos tried to explain to the confused boy.

"Page 374" Gina said along with Carlos. 

Damn, she is good.

"Okay people. Let's take it from three counts of eight, right before Troy and Gabriella's entrance for the bows" Carlos instructed. 

Morgan sat at the piano, ready to play the closing number. She watched as her best friend danced along to the music she played. The dancers moved aside for Ricky and Nini, Ricky completely hopeless of the steps.