The Bitter Taste of Sky

Astronomer is the anagram of 'no more star'. But 'no more star' means it's a day, it's morning. A new morning. A new hope.

I was a fool to wait for someone who I know that will not come back. I was just being hopeful, didn't I?

• • •

"And lay you down on a bed of ro---"

The lyrics didn't end just the way it is, dahil isang malakas na pagsabog ang tumapos dito.

"Peter..." My hand tightened its grip.

Inagaw na siyang tuluyan ng kalawakan sa akin.

• • •

Years had passed by and I could feel that my hope is still here. I spent my whole ten years being an educator. I know that it is impossible for him to come back but still, I'm hoping. The woman of hope couldn't be hopeless.

One day, when I am preparing our breakfast, I received an email from the UASA, saying that they have received a message outside the Earth. The sender is unknown. They even said that they can't track the specific source, but they are skilled enough. I know. I trust them.

Inayos ko agad ang mga gagamitin ni Aaron at Sky sa school bago ako pumunta sa headquarters. Wala na akong pakialam kung totoo man yun o hindi. Basta ang alam ko, malapit na siyang bumalik. Nag-iwan ako ng notes sa refrigerator, marunong naman na silang magbasa. Malalaki na sila.

• • •

I just arrived in the UASA. My heart's full of hope and love. Yeah, it's me again, the woman of hope. Umaasa ako na babalik na talaga siya. I took a deep breath at dahan dahang naglakad papasok sa loob ng headquarters.

The whole staffs are busy. They seem like ants in a hive that are busy working. Noises are everywhere, arguments and debates are everywhere. Not until they saw me. They saluted on me and I saluted them back. 

"Good Morning, Ex-Flight Lieutenant Behati Azalea Monzanto," taas-noong pagbati sa'kin ni Chairman. "Good Morning, Sir," I replied and saluted him. "Let's go, let's talk about the email I sent." Tipid siyang sumaludo at naglakad papunta sa isang sulok. Lakad-takbo ako para habulin siya.

"We have received a message from the outer space. We all know that before someone could send a message, years will be spent, we don't even know if someone can send a message from the outer space but why did the message simply looks like it's a prank? Does someone is fooling us? Or is it a work of a coming alien apocalypse?" he said, so composed.

"Prank, it is possible for me sir, but what is the message all about?" I asked him.

"I love you," he directly answered my question.

I sarcastically laughed. "This is not the time for jokes sir." I faked a smile. "This is a serious matter and it gives me hope that he's still alive, breathing and will come back home safely."

"I'm serious. The message is all about 'I love you'." He emphasized the 'I love you'. I got it. I grinned, Pedro..

"The woman of hope is hoping, didn't you?." He laughed. "So, you're still hoping?"

"Until I saw his plane and his body sir, I will," I said.

• • •

We are here in the laboratory. The scientists and staffs are also busy here.

"We can track the location by changing the position of Engineer Wright's satellite," rinig kong sabi ng isa.

"We can't take risk. Since there is a possibility that it will affect the signals all over the world. We can't easily decide. We will study regarding that matter."