♔ Chapter One ♔

Amber Sun

Two years later

The night that Bear died was one of the worst nights of all of our lives. The whole gang lost someone they all looked up to and I lost one of the only people I could put all my trust in. Some members left or just disappeared after he died, afraid I would just make things worse when I took Bear's place. At the time, I couldn't blame them. I was a complete mess when he passed.

A lot has changed since then. I was told to take his place, which doesn't surprise anyone. Bear and I were extremely close, and I, of course, am the next best candidate for the job.

Since being promoted to my position, I was given the keys to Bear's apartment since I can't live in my shitty one anymore. I didn't complain, Bear's place was the most luxurious place he could get. It's a penthouse that is right outside the heart of our lovely city, or kingdom I should say.

It cost Bear a fortune, but with the view, it has of our city, it was worth every single penny. It's a castle fit for a queen.

I'm happy I'm at the top now, I have nothing and no one to worry about. I'm untouchable and that's something that not everyone is lucky enough to have. Well, I think that's enough of me bragging.

The view is my favourite part of the night, staring out into the artificial light has become a regular at my nightly routines. I love hearing the soft whisper of cars or the loud chatter of police sirens that we normally drown out during the busy day.

Some nights are louder than others, but tonight it's quiet, a little too quiet for me. The quiet allows the dark things to come in. Some nights they don't visit but tonight, they are. I fucking hate when the dark things come into my mind.

I grab out my phone and put it off of airplane mode. Right away, a message pops up onto my screen. Except it's not from anyone I was expecting. It's from an old friend of mine, Mike. He's a sweetheart when his age lets him be one. He's almost 40, so he can be a real piece of shit sometimes. Then again, it could just be me.

I open up the message, reading what he sent me.

I'm coming over in fifteen. - Sent at 9:54 PM

I check the time and let out a sigh. It's only 10, so I still have some time before Mike arrives. I kinda regret looking at the message, or wanting some company altogether, even though I hate the loneliness. I hate being alone, but now I want to be.

It's too late for me to do anything no matter how much I want to be by myself. That's the thing with being a leader of a bunch of idiots, no one leaves you alone. Everyone has something to say and for some, I have to be the first one to hear it.

I go into the kitchen and go to my stash of wine that I hide underneath my microwave. I hide the expensive shit so no one can steal it.

Normally, I'm picky with the wine I choose to drink but not today. I grab the first bottle I see and a corkscrew from the drawer. I open the bottle, which just so happens to be white wine. Grabbing a wine glass from the cabinet above, I fill it up with wine. I guess I'm going to be fancy today.

I sit onto the grey tiled floor, setting the bottle next to me. Wine is best sipped slowly, but the one in my glass is gone in minutes. Instead of pouring more, I just drink from the bottle. Nevermind on being fancy.

I stare at the floor in front of me, like something is about to jump out of it. Leaning my head against the lower cabinet, I continue to drink my wine.

That's when my lovely door rings, which is the only sound I wish I never heard tonight. I get up with a huff, grabbing my glass and pouring more precious wine into it before I make the painful walk to the door, taking both the bottle and glass.