Cinderella AU

(Marinette is 4)

Marinette use to be a happy girl. She had a loving mother and father. They always told her to be kind and to give to those who need it. Marinette always had a smile on her face. But one day she was wondering around the pond with her mother when she collapsed. She yelled for her father. He came in a moment, he picked up his wife and carried her to their sitting room. Marinette knew her mother had been sick, but she told her she was getting better. A few hours later her mother called to her. Marinette grabbed her hand and started to cry.

"Now Marinette, where is that beautiful smile I gave you?"
Mari gave her a small smile. "That's my girl. Marinette, I must leave you now. Remember these words for me. Be kind and have courage. Don't let anyone tell you what to do. Fight for what you believe in."
"I will mama, I promise."
"I know sweetheart. Look after your father for me, will you."
"I promise Mama." Mari said with determination in her voice.
"That's my girl. Now go and fetch your father for me." Sabine's voice was growing weaker and weaker. Marinette ran out of the room. She ran right to the Barron's house. She knocked on the door, tears streaming down her face. Chloe opened the door.
"Marinette? What happened?" Chloe asked as she gave her friend a hug and ushered her inside.
"I-It's Ma-ma-Mama. Sh-sh-she is gone." Mari sobbed. Chloe held her close.
"Oh Mari, I'm so sorry. You can stay here. Let's get you some tea and some night clothes."
A week later they had a Funeral for Sabine. Chloe held Mari's hand the whole time.
"Lets plant a Cherry Blossom tree in her honor." Chloe suggested
"She would like that"

Three years later Tom came home with news. Marinette was out in the garden gathering food to make lunch. When she heard a familiar voice call out.
"MARINETTE!!! I have wonderful news!"
"What is it papa?" She asked as she entered the kitchen.
"You have a new mother. Her name Helena Rossi, she has a daughter your age named Lila. Come they want to meet you."
Marinette dropped her supplies off and hurried after her father. In the entrance hall stood a woman and a girl around her age. She walked over and smiled.
"Hi, I'm Marinette."
"Hello I'm Helena and this is my daughter Lila."
"Hello Marinette."
"Hello Lila, it's lovly to meet you."
"Helena why don't I show you to the dinning room."
"That would be lovely Tom."
As the adults left Lila stepped up to Marinette and gave a wicked smile. She grabbed Marinette's necklace and pulled. It came off with a snap.
"Hey, give that back! It was my mothers."
"Not anymore. If you tell anyone, I will make it ten times worse. You life is going to be a hell." Lila stated as she walked past a crying Marinette.
Three years later Tom died, while away on a trip to sell his baked goods. Ever since then Lila made her life as miserable as she could. Took all her friends away and spread lies all over the place. Marinette tried to expose them but Lila just covered it up by claiming she was jealous. It only got worse from there.

Eight years later, true to her word Marinette's life was miserable. But Marinette tried to be happy, but it was really hard. The only people she could rely on was Chloe, Kagami and Luka. Marinette and Chloe helped Kagami and Luka get together, they've been dating for almost two years. Marinette was so happy for them. Chloe met someone and they began not to long after that. With everything going on she doesn't want to rope anyone else into her drama. Chloe tried to set her up with multiple people but Mari never showed. Lila always made sure to add more chores to her list of daily ones.

One day Marinette was walking back from the market when she saw some travelers off to the side of the road, their horses tangled in a tree and hooves stuck in the mud. Two guys two horses, no food in sight.
"Need any help?" She asked
They turned and smiled. "If you can help that would be great, are you sure you want to. You could get dirty." Replied the older one.
"Pardon me but I will have you know I have been in worse situations than this." Mari states as she placed her basket of food off to the side and helped pull the hooves out. Next came the hard part. Mari quietly walked toward the horses reins.
"Easy, easy. Shhhh. That's it." She whispered to the horses. She tugged at the reins and they came lose almost instantly. She guided the horses back to the two men by the road. "Here you go."
"Thank you miss?"
"Marinette."
"Thank you Marinette" said the one around her age.
"What are your names?"
"Robin is the short one next to me. And my name is Nightwing."
"Nice to meet you both. Here" Mari handed them and extra loaf of bread.
"Oh miss we couldn't possibly-"
"You need it more than I do. I know the owner personally and she gave me an extra one without me looking. Please take it."
Nightwing grabbed and bowed. "Thank you for your generosity."
"Please there is no need to thank me. I am just happy to help."
Robin and Nightwing mounted their horses. "If you are looking for a place to rest and water your horses there is a lake near by, look for the cherry blossom tree."
"Thanks again Marinette." Robin said
"It was no trouble."
Marinette frowned as she remembered that Lila and Helena were waiting for her. She picked up her basket and raced off toward her house. When she got there Lila was there with her mother.
"Marinette where have you been? You need to cook and clean. Hurry up!" Helena demanded
"Yes ma'am." She replied as she got to the kitchen.
"Oh and you will be receiving lashes next time this happens."
Marinette flinched. She had been whipped before. She knew Helena wasn't joking about it. She quickly got to work, cutting up the veggies and cooking the meat. While the food was cooking she started on her remaining chores.
"MARINETTE!!! I need you to polish my jewelry." Lila called
"Marinette I need you to brush my hair!" Helena called
"Be right there!" She called
Mari went to Lila first and started to polish her jewelry, till Lila spilled it on herself and blamed me. Helena was instantly mad.
"That's it to the post with you!" Helena yelled
Marinette was dragged out by her hair and chained her there. Helena brought out the whip. Marinette barely had time to clench her teeth together. The second lash was the worst, it hit exactly where the first on landed, causing a scream to erupt out of her throat. This continued till she was sobbing and screaming. Her throat was hoarse from all the screaming. What the whipping stopped she was dragged to the barn and left there. Marinette lates there unable to move, her back bleeding continuously. She heard the barn door open and close.
"Marinette?"
"Chloe?"
She saw her friend in the corner of her eye. Then heard her gasp.
"Oh Mari, what did they do to you."
"They broke me. I can't do this Chloe." Marinette cried as another fresh set of tears came.
"Let's get your cleaned up."