one

A/N: Hi everyone! Thanks for checking out the second book of the Victor's Ally series! If you haven't already, please read the first book or none of this will make sense!

This one will have both Juliet and Luke's point of view, so I hope you enjoy the new perspective.

Warnings: This book will be slightly darker than the first book as it deals with prostitution, violence, etc. as it covers what the Victors experience after their games.

Chapter 1 – Juliet

The flying colors of an unidentifiable district filled my vision through the window of the train. I wished more than ever that the empty feeling I worked so hard to maintain would come back, but my walls had come crashing down after my birthday and I hadn't been able to build them back up. It was barely been a week after I had returned home for the last stop on my Victory Tour that I awoke to a thick, bright white envelope on my doorstep. I had snatched it up before either my parents or Kit had come across it, but I didn't even need to read it to know what it contained. A day later and here I was, on my way to the Capitol. I hadn't had a chance to even say goodbye to Luke, and no doubt he would be wondering where I was. Hopefully, I would be back before I knew it and I could pretend this was all a nightmare.

The last thing I wanted was to meet with some random Capitol man and be forced to sell the one thing I still had left for myself, but it was too late to turn back now. I briefly wondered what would happen if I just stepped out the nearest train door and onto the deep tracks below. The door probably wouldn't even open if I tried.

I knew Luke would be able to relate to me if I told him, but no matter how much I wanted to, I needed to keep this from him at all costs. He thought he could protect me, but he was in too deep already. It was my turn to protect him now. I hoped that Snow would maintain the deal we had made, but I was constantly keeping an eye out to make sure he was keeping his word. So far, he hadn't called Luke to the Capitol. A small part of me was relieved that he was spared for now, but the selfish part of me was much larger and filled with dread for the fate that awaited me.

I tried not to hold a grudge; Luke and I had tentatively built back up our friendship after the Victory Tour's stop in the Capitol, but I still felt his rejection cut through my stomach like a knife every time I thought about it. After all this time, and after everything we went through, he still kept me at a distance and refused to be with me. If he couldn't be with me now, he never would be able to. The thought that I had lost him forever hurt more than anything else. I thought of his messy hair, beautiful hazel eyes, sharp jawline, and gentle hands. The gentle hands that I wish would be touching me instead of some random man twice my age.

The unusually smooth train hit a sudden bump and my forehead cracked against the window, bringing tears to my eyes. We began to slow, and my stomach plummeted to the floor as the tall, grey Capitol buildings filled my view. I didn't stand until two Peacekeepers came to retrieve me, attempting to delay the inevitable as long as possible.

They escorted me into a building that looked almost identical to the Training Center, but there were no tributes or stylists milling about. The men were almost twice my height and kept their gloved hands on my arms, as if I would be able to escape even if I wanted to try. I was here for a reason, to keep my family safe, and I couldn't back out now. They sent me into the elevator, pushing the ninth button before backing out, leaving me alone with only my reflection in the shiny metal doors.

When I entered my temporary apartment, the first thing I noticed was the envelope on the counter. It was a blinding white, as always, and sealed with a blood red stamp. On the inside was a name, address, and time, exactly as it had been on the one Luke had showed me. I squeeze my eyes shut tightly, feeling the desperation creep into my bones. I wished I had been able to tell Luke, and maybe he would have understood that I needed him. They were taking everything from me, stripping me from my dignity. The only thing I had left was a choice, and I wished I had chosen to spend my first time with someone who loved me and cared about me. I almost laughed at the thought; even if Luke wanted to have sex with me, he would never under these circumstances.