10

"So what, are you like with David now?" The girl in front of her was beautiful. If Amaranth knew what beauty was, she would know that she came across it at last and could properly admire it. But she didn’t, so she stared on.

            At the mention of David, Amaranth spun around in a circle to find him, but she couldn't see past the people bumping into her. She had felt his warmth a minute ago.

            "David?" She peered at the brunette in front of her. She had never met her before. "Hello! I'm Amaranth!"

            "Charming, I'm sure." She lightly wrapped her polished fingernails on her hips. "You're with David, right?"

            Amaranth wasn't sure what she was asking. "Yes. I know David. Do you know him too?"

            The girl barked out a laugh, but Amaranth couldn’t see what was so funny. She looked around for David.

            "Sweetie." The girl in killer heels leaned in as she draped one of her hands with her fingers over Amaranth's shoulder. "You don't look like his type and you certainly don't act like his type. You want a little advice?"

            She leaned in and nodded excitedly. The girl smiled at her eagerness. "He's bad news. Stay away from him if you know what's best for you."

            She gapped at the girl who barked out another laugh and threw back her head, finding the situation hilarious, even though it escaped Amaranth’s head.

            "Trust me. After his mom died, he did tell you about that, right?"

            She swallowed the lump in her throat and nodded.

            "Good." The girl smiled sweetly at her and continued. "Well after what happened, let's just say he can't keep his hands off anyone."

            "What do you mean?"

            The girl raised a perfectly colored eyebrow at her. "He's a player. He's going to use you and throw you away like yesterday's trash. I've known him for a while. Just stay away from him. You don't want to be that kind of girl."

            "I don't?"

            It earned her another laugh and a pat in the head.

            "Take my advice. He can—"

            “Em!" David cut off whatever she was going to say next. He appeared out of nowhere next to Amaranth and pulled her to his side, afraid that he'd lose her to the crowd again.

            "David!" The girl squealed.