The Esteemed and Respectable Lushingtons

Once the Brasslantis Grand Express finally arrived at their intended stop, Oliver and Juliet stepped off of the train station platform and onto a cobblestone street.

"Oliver," Juliet sighed. "I really must insist you let me do the talking. We won't even get in the doors if you begin with your detective routine."

"Oh, Juliet," Oliver said, pulling out his smoking pipe and tapping it on the end on his chin. "I've seen enough resistance to good detective work in my career. I think I can handle a few socialites."

"You're a university student! Oliver..." Juliet began rubbing her temples. "Look, my mother and Mrs. Lushington's badminton partner play bridge on Tuesdays. Let me get us in, alright?"

Oliver chuckled. "Very well, Juliet. Let me know if you need my help."

Juliet would have rolled her eyes had it not been unbecoming of her status. Instead, she adjusted one of her steam powered hair ornaments and began walking up the hill toward the best of the mansions on the street. 

Many of them had actual yards, filled with the finest imported soil and grass. Steam powered brass gates and mail boxes gleamed in the sunlight. The homes on this street could be argued as the most prestigious in town, and the crown jewel on the top of the hill was the Lushington Estate. 

Juliet knocked on the door gently, not wanting to damage her fine suede gloves, and awaited a butler to answer.

"Now remember, Oliver, let me speak first," Juliet said firmly.

"Yes, yes. I heard you the first time," Oliver said, polishing the handle of his magnifying glass on his shirt.

"What... where did you get a-"

"Welcome to the estate of the Lushington family."  A butler in coat tails long enough that they needed to be carried by a second butler answered the door. "Whomst may I ask is calling?"

Juliet turned, plastering her snootiest expression on her face, and looked down her nose at the butler. "Juliet Titania Katherine Desdemona Montague."

The butler nodded, glancing at Oliver. "Yes, Ms. Montague, we know your family. And who is this?"

"Er, I'm-"

"Oliver here is an acquaintance. We met through the renowned Professor Stirlingwell. You do know of the professor, don't you?"

"Oh, yes, yes of course," the butler nodded, opening the door wider. "Please do come in, you are both welcome to wait in the first parlor while I let Mrs. Lushington know you are here."

"Yes, thank you," Juliet replied. 

They followed the butler and his butler into a nearby room. It was filled to the brim with the latest, most fashionable leather and brass furniture that Brasslantis had to offer. Oliver was happy to sit in an armchair with a steam-powered ottoman, while Juliet sat daintily on a red velvet sofa where she could safely feint, if the occasion called for it.

"I will be back shortly," the butler announced, bowing as he left the first parlor doorway.

Juliet watched him go with a sigh. "Oliver, do you think the Lushingtons have already been told about Phoebe?"

Oliver shrugged. "The butler certainly wasn't acting like it."

Juliet brought out one of her lace handkerchiefs, clutching it to her chest. "I don't think it's our place to tell them then."

"Well, how do you propose we gather clues, Juliet?" Oliver asked. "I'm certain the Lushingtons have vital information to the case."

"Maybe," Juliet said, fidgeting with one of the many settings on her goggles. "I just wish you weren't pushing us forward so quickly. I feel as though we only need to sit down and think through the clues we have, and perhaps bring them to the police."