Trente-trois

Those three weeks were the worst three weeks he had ever experience in his entire life

Those three weeks were the worst three weeks he had ever experience in his entire life. Every day he lived in fear of receiving a note, a sign, anything that would indicate to them that she was dead. He had to remind himself that he was a psychopath. As long as Victoria kept the bastard entertained and fought that she would live. The problem was, this man was an expert in torture. Every second she was with him meant that a number of unspeakable acts could be done to her. He tried to push these thoughts out of his mind. He didn't need them in his mind. He didn't want them in his mind. What he wanted was her to be back in his arms.

The hardest part of it wasn't keeping his composure. No, the hardest thing was having to lie to Jack about what was going on. He told the child countless lie about how she was on a trip and would come home soon. That conversation then would lead into a conversation about what quantified as soon. Aaron Hotchner was an emotional wreck. He couldn't help but feel betrayed. Maybe it was the universe telling him to just give up on love and be a single dad then die sad and alone at the age of 70 with a cat named Felix and grandchildren. He could live with that.

The truth was that he should have trusted her judgement. In the end she was the reason that they had managed to bring Foyette to justice. She had done the impossible to reunite him with Jack and Haley. All the sleepless nights planning. All the favors she called in just for him.

What could he do for her? They already had all hands on deck searching for her. JJ still had six weeks of leave left and Rossi was determined. Strauss was on his back for allowing it to all happen.

Strauss called him into her office. "How the hell did you allow this to happen? I have the Pentagon calling me to fix this."

Aaron kept his composure. "We have all hands on deck. Garcia and Kevin Lynch are working to find any cyber trails. We are combing through all the documents and leads Hayes left us. What more would you like us to do?"

"I'm bringing in reinforcements. Clyde Easter, head of the London branch of Interpol, has agreed to assist. No one wants this to drag on. It makes us look weak."

"When will be be arriving?"

"He's already here. I've sent him to your office. He's agreed to let Garcia utilize their data base for this case. The only catch is that if she is on foreign soil we will hand the case over to them."

"She's a US citizen."

"Yes, but she also has dual citizenship in Italy."

Aaron knew the legalities and red tape all too well. "We will find her and bring her home soon ma'am."

"Agent Hotchner, Victoria is my goddaughter," she suddenly spoke up as he turned to leave. "Please forgive me if I am being rude."

Aaron shook his head. "No need ma'am. I know everyone here has a personal connection to her. Some more than others."

"Find her and bring her back."

"I intent to bring her back alive if that is what you mean ma'am."