Chapter Seventeen

"People cry, not because they're weak. It's because they've been strong for too long."

LEIRA'S POV

An ear-splitter shriek came from Treyton. The harsh and piercing cry echoed throughout the cabin.

It was the morning and unfortunately, I was awakened by the sharp scream. I panicked for a brief duration, presuming that something unpleasant had occurred because of me, then dismissed the thought as quickly as it came. It was Treyton. From what I learned, he freaked out over every little thing.

"Shut up!" Luna yelled back, groaning in discomfort.

I woke up due to the bugging curiosity that urged me to discover what caused Treyton to startle the entire house.

I peeked down from the second floor, gazing as he paced around the living room with features shaped to match a look of distress. He had his phone in his grasp and he seemed on the verge of breaking down.

"What happened?" I kept my voice low.

"I made a mistake."

I descended the flight of stairs to approach him. He looked extremely guilty and upset. I felt almost jealous that he dared to be so open with emotions. I was ordered to lock and conceal mine because apparently, they were a weakness.

I did not have to ask before he told me all about what caused his stressed state.

"I told him. I wasn't in the right mind and I told him," he rambled. "I wasn't ready to tell him, especially when we're already moving so fast. He said he wanted to slow down and I possibly just ruined everything by sending that stupid text."

I was quite certain he was referring to Zak, the person he confessed to after notifying me the day before.

"I'm certain everything will turn out great," I tried to comfort. Having no friends to give solace to for so long had seized that ability of mine. I recalled being quite decent at reassuring others three years ago.

"I doubt it," he mumbled. "We were an impossible pair from the start. My family would never accept him."

"What do you mean?"

He gazed at me with features twisted into an indescribable expression. His next bizarre line had me baffled. He said, "I'm more like you than you notice."

"In what prospect?" I questioned. He had most probably judged from what I let him see—lies.

"Many."

Before I could respond, Kai stepped out of her room with a glare fixed on Treyton's face.

"I reckoned that you know that I'm not a morning person," she narrowed her eyes. Her face displayed irritation. "You're so fortunate that Luna is not downstairs yet. I'm warning you, that girl will smack the hell out of you."

I snickered, then decided to was time to get ready for what laid ahead in the day.

I returned upstairs while Kai stayed with Treyton. When I returned, it was to the sight of Luna whacking Treyton. Justice was shaking with laughter and nobody was aware that I was there, except for Kai.

"Luna said you were good," she said, resulting in heads turning in my direction. I raised a confused eyebrow and silently asked her to expand on what she mentioned. She gestured for me to close the distance between us before saying, "You can fight?"

"She can," Justice answered for me.

"Would you like a friendly fight?" Treyton suggested.

"That's a good idea since we're not going to practice this Saturday," Kai pointed out.