Chapter Two

I grabbed the next elevator after Steven basically left me behind, but as I made my way towards Chase's car. I saw him yell at Steven, probably furious because he left me, which made laugh for the first time in weeks!

I got into the car with a lot of help from Chase. I buckled my seatbelt and took one last breath before we started driving.

Driving back home was something many people would normally look forward to, but that was something that scared the absolute shit out of me! I had prepared myself, built up walls, trying not to show any sings of weakness and emotion, but the second Chase entered our driveway, I broke down in tears.

"Hey, everything is ok" said Chase with a shaky voice, "I miss her too" he continued as he pulled up in the driveway and cut the engine. "Do you need a minute, or do you want to come inside?" asked Chase and put the car-keys in his pocket.

Steven walked out of the car, slamming the car door behind him and walked to the front door, waiting for Chase to come. "I'm coming" I replied and wiped my tears away. The air outside was cold, cold to the point where you could see the fog coming from your mouth. Christmas had long passed by now, but still there was a lot of decorations around the neighborhood.

The days in the hospital was slow, not many things happened there. Chase tried to visit me as often as he could, as did Steven. Steven didn't really take our mother's death as hard as me and Chase did. I guess you could say that he had experienced a lot that would somehow strengthen his emotions.

After being in the hospital for many weeks, it kind of was a good feeling. Feeling the cold breeze almost freezing my wet cheeks.

Our house was dark, empty. Not like the time our mother was inside, cooking or doing something to surprise us as we came home from being gone.

Chase unlocked the door and opened it to reveal that most of our old furniture had been sold or had been covered with plastic to be sold in a garage sale later. "Here, go up to your rooms and gather what you want to keep" said Chase and gave us trash bags.

Steven was the first one to walk up the stairs and probably putting stupid things in his trash bag, while I thought through what I wanted to keep. I walked over to what was left of the furniture downstairs, seeing what was once on shelfs, now laying on the floor in boxes.

There was a mix of pictures books and even some old antiques. I grabbed one of the pictures where it had us all in it, a picture we took back a few years ago. "We all look so happy here" I uttered as Chase started cleaning out the kitchen for plates and stuff. "When was it taken?" asked Chase and threw a bunch of the old food we still has in the fridge.

"I don't remember?" I replied and tried to look for a date of when the picture was taken, but there wasn't any. "Can I keep it?" I asked Chase as he continued to clean out of the kitchen, "Sure" he replied as he poured out many weeks old milk into the sink, gagging as he heard the chunks hit the sink before he cleaned it away.

I made my way upstairs unnerving to know how much of my room was left after Chase gave stuff away.

I opened my bedroom door to see what was left, but everything was just like it was when I left, the only thing that was different was a layer of dust that had gathered over the weeks that had passed. Nothing hadn't really changed that much. Everything was perfectly placed where it should be.

The books on my bookshelf was probably the thing that had gathered the most dust. I usually kept the bookshelf dust free, mostly because I always picked new books to read from each day.

"What are you thinking of keeping?" asked Chase in the doorway, taking a break from cleaning out the kitchen. "I don't know?" replied and looked around the room. "Hey, remember this?" asked Chase and grabbed one of the photos I had on my nightstand.

The picture was of all of us, on a trip back a few years ago. I remember being extremely excited to travel to a state we hadn't been to for a while and I remember having so much fun with Steven and Chase!

"Yeah" I replied and smiled from the forgotten memories it brought to me. "Are you keeping it?" he asked and neatly placed the picture frame back on my nightstand, but before I even could reply to him, I grabbed the picture and threw it onto my bed for the 'keeping' pile.

"Ok then, I'll get back to cleaning then" said Chase caught off-guard and went back to cleaning downstairs.

An hour or so went by and the bright winter sun had long been gone now. I had thrown away more stuff then I had expected and when I went to bed, I looked around my room and didn't even recognize it before I closed my eyes.