chapter nine

[ 09 - CHAPTER NINE ]

― someone i don't know ―

someone i don't know ―

The inside of Orion's mind was like a hurricane. A dangerous, malicious hurricane that, no matter how many whips and chains were thrown its way, would not bow down at the feet of anyone. It refused to even lower its head when faced the royalty of Saros, a sentiment that was not ignored by Orion.

His thoughts and memories were being tossed around in his head like leaves caught in a strong wind. His conscience, a coveted artifact that had been missing for years, was bending at the orders of Orion's storm . And his will, a net that would be strong enough to trap the rage of his internal hurricane, was locked up far in the recesses of his mind, in a place so deep that Orion himself was too scared to search for it. He wished only for solitude. For an escape from the rampage inside of him. And yet, even a storm of his own creation had no eye. How was it fair that his subconscious, the serpent-tongued demon that always claimed to be on his side, had been so cruel as to create a hurricane all those years ago and not offer Orion a break, an eye to the storm that would give him a safehouse?

Alas, there he lied in the darkness of his own thoughts, his eyes too tired of tears to bear any more.

He wished he hadn't woken up. The toxin the agents had given him when they pressed a needle into his neck was a blessing in disguise. That angelic toxin had granted him unconsciousness, and in that unconsciousness, his hurricane of a mind had ceased its incessant chatter. Finally, he'd reached the eye of the storm.

But now, the effects of the toxin had worn off. He was awake. His vision was filled with blinding fluorescent lights, his surroundings vacant of everything except four white walls and a door. The lack of furniture, when combined with what had happened before he'd gone unconscious, could only mean that he was being imprisoned by the men in black suits. With another glance around the room, Orion felt a deep and unhappy rumbling in his throat. They hadn't even let Titan share a cell with him.

"Hey!" Orion shouted, hoping that someone - one of the agents from before, maybe - could hear him. "Where's my dog?"

His words echoed off the walls and droned off into silence, pulling a sigh from between his parted lips. Had he really expected anyone to answer him?

Suddenly, a window on the wall across from him caught his attention. His left eyebrow lifted in a perplexed arch. There was a person on the other side of the window. He rose to his feet and stumbled closer to the stranger who, in turn, was staggering over to him. Orion's eyes narrowed. Then, when the hollow eyes of the stranger narrowed as well, Orion's eyebrows shot up. The stranger hadn't been a stranger at all, but a person more familiar to him than his own family. The stranger on the other side of the window was himself, and the window wasn't a window, as he'd originally thought. Orion had been gazing into a mirror the entire time, and he hadn't even realized it.