Prologue

Unedited

Prologue

You like stories, don't you? Then let me tell you one. Let me tell you about—the past, a story no one else on this Earth knows but me. One erased from history to be kept secret. We were old when this world was brand new, witnessed its great exploding birth. They created this universe as a battleground, a place outside of their homeland where they could wage war against their enemy.

I was created to be a warrior, as many of us were. But you—you were different. The Dawn bore you out of the love she felt for The Messenger, an oddity as we're not known for our emotions. So bright and beautiful you were, others sought to possess you for the qualities you wielded that no one had seen before. The Dawn commanded legions while you fought and thrived amongst the ranks. By maturity, you'd seen more war, spent more time on the battlefield, than the rest of us. No fine things and shelter for you. Only blood and death and steel.

A blood-tempered blade, beautifully cruel in your sharpness and brutality.

I worshiped the ground you walked on, your match in every way. I was your companion, your confidant, your escort. We fought back to back against our enemies, spilling as much blood as necessary to ensure survival. You saved me and I saved you.

Eventually, the war was won, but in order to seal the gate to our enemies' prison, a sacrifice of seven was required. They said we were chosen at random, that we would return triumphant, but you and I knew. There are no choices in sacrifice and we would not return, at least not as we were.

We died on the Last Day, the day The Commander wanted more, the outcome of the war not enough for his liking. So he started a war of his own, a Civil War. A battle raged in the skies, friend against friend, brother against brother. We were forced to remain on our knees, blades to our spines and throats, to watch as our brethren fell out of the sky, bloody winged tears crashing to the ground.

No way to tell between the two sides, who was good and who was bad,—until The Dawn rose against The Commander, The—Morningstar as they called him affectionately. Their battle became so bright, it blinded my eyes but you—you refused to look away. Too wary of what would happen next. Their sword clangs rang like bells, their attacks like thunder, the sound still haunts my nightmare.

In the end, The Morningstar struck down The Dawn, his beloved companion and friend, and that blow cost him more than he ever comprehended. As they fell, the Morningstar roared not only in grief but also in madness as the corruption of his soul began—

~*~

Music Selection: Paint it Black by Hidden Citizens feat. Rånya