Chapter Four

It was three days before Crowley was able to actually get to begin his assignment. It wasn't his fault, not really. There were just so many things to do that he sort of got... sidetracked. It didn't help in the least that a certain angel was determined to show him every part of the palace. It was just as lush and decadent on the inside as it was on the outside, every room filled with various goods and luxuries- although Aziraphale was partial to the library. It was endearing, the way in which Aziraphale's face lit up whenever he happened upon some previously unknown volume, and Crowley was more than happy enough to sit back and watch as the angel ran his fingers reverently over each scroll and tome. In all reality, Crowley knew that he should have started working his way into the duke's favor the moment he had arrived in the palace, but Crowley was hesitant to do anything that might speed up his work and make him have to leave any sooner. He hadn't gotten the chance to spend this much time with Aziraphale since the Beginning, when both of them had realized that for the time being, they were alone and each other's company was better than no company at all.

Crowley sat on the chair next to Aziraphale's in the drawing room. Aziraphale had spent the better part of the last hour discussing Roman de Fergus while Crowley listened, enjoying the way the angel's face flushed and the way his hands moved as he got more and more into his rant about the character development and romance of the main character.

"Really Crowley, the stories that people make up about these knights," Aziraphale was saying, "I knew most of the knights at Arthur's court, and while this is certainly a good story, Fergus's life was nothing like this."

There was a knock from the entryway and Crowley jumped, surprised at the sudden interruption. Dandolo was standing just in the hallway with Contessa Minotto next to him.

"May we join you?" He asked courteously, motioning to the sofa across from where Crowley and Aziraphale were sitting.

"Of course, Duke." Aziraphale smiled and sat back so he could face Dandolo and Minotto as they made their way to the sofa. Crowley noticed how Minotto held Dandolo's arm and guided him across the room as he prodded the space in front of him with his cane. It was only when Dandolo was comfortably seated that she let go and sat down next to him, resting her head on one hand as she leaned against the arm of the sofa.

"I do hope we aren't interrupting anything direly." Dandolo said, looking between Aziraphale and Crowley.

"I was merely discussing a book I read, a continuation of the stories of King Arthur." Dandolo nodded politely, but Minotto's eyes widened and she leaned forward, her full attention on Aziraphale.

"Would you happen to be referring to the Roman de Fergus?" She asked, a smile growing on her face. Crowley knew that look quite well, it was the look of a person who was mad about a story, it was a look that Aziraphale wore quite often. Crowley looked between the angel and the countess, amused. It seemed that the angel had found someone just as interested in the tale as himself.

"Indeed I am, my lady. Do you happen to have read it before?"

"I am well versed in all the tales of King Arthur," Minotto replied, "and yourself?"

"Equally well versed, I assure you." Aziraphale was smiling now, clearly pleased.

"Would you care to join me while I take my lunch?" Minotto offered to Aziraphale. The angel looked over at Crowley for just a second before answering.

"I would, thank you very much, my lady." Aziraphale stood and offered his hand to Minotto, who stood with remarkable grace for a woman of her age.

"Please excuse us," Aziraphale said, bowing to Dandolo and giving Crowley a look that could only be interpreted as "don't you dare do anything." Dandolo nodded and Aziraphale and Minotto walked out of the room, already chattering about their books. That left Crowley and Dandolo alone in the Drawing room, and unfortunately for Aziraphale, the angel wasn't the only one with a job to do.