She Wasn't Leaving

Alice watched as Edgar and Evelyn walked down the hall. She knew they were lying about Betty and that just simply wouldn't do.

She turned around and walked as quickly as she could without bringing attention to herself. She checked Edgar's office and the storage room that everyone's tapes were kept in, hoping Edgar had merely pulled some hypnotization shit with Betty. She flung the door to the storage room open. Empty. 

Her heart sank into her stomach as she made a bee line for the operating room. This couldn't be happening. She simply wouldn't allow it. Betty had gotten through more in the last year than most people did in a lifetime. Alice would be damned if Edgar thought he'd be able be put an end to that.

She sprinted down the hall, counting the doors. Three on the left. Four on the right.

She threw open the third door on the right and ran inside to find it empty. Alice closed the door behind her before searching every corner of the room. The more she looked, the more she thought maybe, just maybe, Betty had escaped. Her heart attempted to glow at the thought, but she wasn't convinced. Once she'd check every inch of the cold, sterile room, her eyes landed on the latched door across from her.

Alice took out her phone and got her camera ready, unlatching the door and pulling it open with no hesitation. It was time to put an end to this.

It was empty.

"No." Alice heard herself whisper under her breath.

She dialed Charles' number.

"Hello." He answered before the first ring even finished. He was becoming increasingly nervous about Alice's position, frequently finding himself having to refrain from asking her if she wanted to be pulled from the investigation. He knew she was tired of all of this, and he was far more concerned for her safety than he cared to be, but he also knew she wouldn't stop until all of this was over.

"They're gone. All the organs. The freezer is empty." Alice said, short of breath, her sprint to find Betty finally catching up to her as the adrenaline wore off. "It's all gone."

"What do you mean?" Charles asked in a hushed tone. She knew he was at his desk and trying to remain calm in front of everyone.

"Edgar says we're ascending tonight. And all of the organs are gone. And I can't find Betty." Alice replied in chopped sentences, the magnitude of this situation crashing down around her. She was supposed to have all of the information they needed before Edgar even suggested ascension. This was not how this was supposed to happen. It was never supposed to go on this long.

"Wait, Betty isn't with you?" He asked, struggling to keep the panic from climbing into his tone. He rationalized that coming off as even remotely worried would only freak his mother out more.

"No. Evelyn said she escaped with Toni, but I don't believe her. Charles, I don't know what they did, but I swear, I will kill him if he hurt her." Alice snarled, her voice going feral and her nails biting into her palms.

"I'm sure Betty is fine. I'll get some guys out looking for her. In the meantime, I need you to go to Edgar and see if he'll confess everything now that he's feeling threatened." He said slowly, as if her anger were impairing her ability to comprehend him.

"Fine, but won't a confession on a hidden wire be less substantial in court?" Alice pressed, feeling one of her famous headaches coming on. She'd been stuck at the Farm for weeks and hadn't had her Ambien refilled. The lack of sleep would be weighing on her even if she wasn't dealing with being engaged to an organ trafficker. One who was possibly trying to have her daughter killed.

"Possibly, but it may be all we can get before we get you out of there tonight." Charles sighed.

Alice pressed her lips together at the thought. She wasn't leaving until she had everything that they needed to send Edgar away for the rest of his sorry life.