Chapter 7: She's the Last One, Ever

"Look, daddy

"Look, daddy. Look what I drew."

A man peers over a little girl's shoulder. She looks up at him proudly, displaying her new artwork.

"That's a beautiful drawing, (y/n). I'm sure that will prove very useful in the maze trials."

The man smiles down at the young girl fondly. She reaches for another crayon, adds on another leg to the drawing. She sighs.

"When am I gonna meet the other kids? It's so boring all on my own. I'm so lonely." She pouts, making a face at her father.

"In time, (y/n). In time." He pats her on the shoulder and leaves the room. The young girl doesn't catch the pained expression on his face as she bends over her masterpiece, tilting her head as she wonders what else could make her creation more fearsome.

—————

The soft warmth of the first rays of sunlight bring me back to consciousness again.

Where... where am I? And... what was that dream? I'm forgetting it already... but that's not important right now.

My mouth feels dry, and I lick my lips, groaning as I sit up and realise that last night wasn't a nightmare and I'm actually still in the maze.

The griever!

I whip my head around, and to my relief the griever hasn't moved at all. It's truly dead. And I made it through the night! Standing up with some difficulty, the ground spins as a wave of dizziness hits me. I'm severely dehydrated, hungry, and tired as shuck, not to mention the dull, throbbing pain from my injured shoulder. I need to get back to the glade as soon as I can.

Somehow, I manage to retrace my steps back to the place where I had left Minho and Alby last night. I fall to my knees in front of the ivy, and reach out a hand to push it back. The spot is empty. Had the two boys been eaten by grievers, or had Minho woken up? Panic rises in my throat, but I try to stay calm. I press my hand to the stone, and find that it's slightly warm which gives me hope that Minho had already woken up and taken Alby back to the glade.

Groaning, I rise to my feet again. I drag myself towards what I hope is the glade, half leaning on the walls with my good side for support. After what seems like an eternity, I start to hear voices ahead. I recognise the turn on the right, it leads directly to the glade itself. Pausing there, I catch my breath as dark spots appear in my vision again.

No, no, no. If I faint here who knows when they'll send someone out again. Goddam, why the shuck am I so weak right now?

"Minho! Where's (y/n)?" The distinctive, British voice floats over. I smile in relief. So they made it after all. Before Minho can answer, I step out to see half the glade gathered around Minho and a still unconscious Alby. In unison, they lift their heads to look at me.