Dr. Elizabeth O'Connell

Death is but the doorway to new life. We live today, we shall live again. In many forms shall we return.

I read from my great grandmother's journal. Her name, Josephine O'Connell. She was married to Rick O'Connell, sister to Evelyn Bay and Jonathan Carnahan, and mother to Victoria O'Connell. Victoria had married Alex Bay. And they had my father—Howard O'Connell, named after their parents parents. Victoria had decided to keep her last name in the marriage.

I won't lie it was a bit intimidating when your family has this legacy that will carry their name into the history books forever. I had considered Josephine the greatest adventurer of all time, though she was a bit of a pistol. She was my idol from the first time I met her. It was hard to choose a favorite in a family where everyone was so driven and had a name for themselves. But I knew I wanted to carry on their legacy at a young age.

I looked at the textbook sitting next to me, flipping through the crisp pages trying to find where I knew that quote from. I looked around my bed seeing all the books I had sprawled out around me: Set Volume 1, 2 and 3, Tuthmose, Menehptre, Nefretiri, and Sekhmet. I leaned back into my decorative pillows sighing and looking up at the ceiling. Looking to the left, my alarm clock showed almost 2 in the morning, I needed to get some rest before the mission tomorrow. My job? I was an archeologist with the Marine Corp. But based off the other branches in the DoD I was needed everywhere within the military, this time I was on assignment with the US Army. I analyzed the journal in my off time. I needed to figure this out before I went to bed.

"Death is but the doorway to new life..." I spoke out loud trailing off slowly. Then it hit me, I flew off my bed at rapid speed looking for a photo of the Book of the Dead. I grabbed the photo from my desk. Quickly scanning the hieroglyphics, realizing that this was indeed what I had been looking for. I smiled in victory. The quote was an Egyptian prayer of resurrection. It was probably in Set Volume 2 as well. Breaking news on the TV in my room stirred me out of my thoughts. I turned the TV up and listened intently.

"The Crossrail is the biggest construction project in Europe. Carving 26 miles of new commuter train tunnels beneath the surface of London. But today, an ancient tomb filled with the coffins of crusader knights... People don't realize that London is a giant graveyard. A modern city built on centuries of death. Because of the tombs proximity to the Thames half the space is flooded, is that right doctor? There are even more coffins submerged under water. The tomb appears to have been built during the second Crusade which means it's filled with the bodies of crusader knights who invaded Egypt before returning to England. It has also revealed a treasure trove of secrets about London's history."

I nodded slowly as the reporters talked. They showed pictures of the walls and burial site. I quickly saw something in the corner of my eye. There were hieroglyphics, I stared at the TV hoping I didn't just make that up in my mind. I pulled out my phone to take a picture of it before it left the screen. I looked around the room pulling my hair from the messy bun I had it in. It was insane that people had no idea Europe's underground was full of skeletons beneath them. Just think of the Parisian Catacombs. I rolled my eyes as I grabbed the journal from the bed.

"The past cannot remain buried forever. In my lifetime, I have unearthed many ancient mysteries. At last, this tomb reveals antiquities darkest secret. A secret erased from history and forgotten through time."

I looked at the words before me and sat back down on the bed. Evelyn helped Josephine write sometimes. The way the words flowed were perfect as Evelyn would've written. Of course, I had read her 'fiction' books of their adventures, however, she did enjoy to elaborate sometimes. I leaned back against the pillows again feeling the sleepiness overcome my will to work. At around 5am I heard the buzzing of my cell on the nightstand.

"Yes?" I asked the person on the other end of the call.

"Dr. Elizabeth O'Connell?" He asked making sure it was I that answered the phone.

"Yes?" I asked again.

"We need you at Mosul, Sgt. Morton fucked us royally this time." Colonel Greenway said to me on the other end. I groaned, Nick Morton would be the death of me. I've known him for a while, he was a notorious soldier-of-fortune. He sold antiquities on the black market that he'd find on his deployments and reap the illegal benefits. I had more run-ins with him then I'd like to admit.

"Alright, I'll be there in about two hours. Make sure he doesn't touch anything!" I told Greenway. I had been staying in a hotel in Tal Afar and would have to drive my way to Mosul, Iraq. I packed my books away and threw on some new clothes grabbing a light jacket on my way out of the hotel. I pressed the button on the Jeep, the Army had rented for me to unlock it. I threw my suitcases, tools, and books into the backseat then got in. Throwing my seatbelt on I peeled out of the lot driving my way to meet Greenway and Morton. I gripped my steering wheel hard with one thought going through my mind as I got onto the highway: He better not have fucked up my scene.