Chapter One: Six Weeks Until Christmas

edit: oh my god I wrote this when I was like 12 so please bare with my insufferable cringey ways with everything uGgHhh
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 Weeks Until Christmas

John

"John why are there so many Christmas adverts on I mean it's only November for God's sake! It's not like we need to be reminded that the most utterly tiresome and platitudinous holiday is coming up I mean we already know that don't we?"

John watched as his flatmate flailed his arms wildly above his head as the new John Lewis Christmas advert played on the screen.

"They're only bringing them out now so that people know that they have their Christmas stock in so they can buy gifts in advance before everything gets sold out.

And besides I think the Christmas adverts are lovely to watch, I mean look at this one with the penguin I mean doesn't that just make you feel all warm inside?"

John smiled at the advert on the television before glancing at Sherlock who was frowning excessively.

"You know that I don't like pengwings John." Sherlock growled, "The fact that everyone thinks they are adorable just irritates me so much because in fact they are just average birds and are no different in personality to the ones we see outside everyday and besides-"

"Pengwings?" John stifled a laugh.

"Yes John pengwings that's what I said."

"Peng-wings?" John repeated, giggling.

"Yes John I don't see what the problem is here you heard me correctly didn't you?"

"Sherlock don't you mean penguins?"

"Yes that's what I said, pengwings I don't see what you are getting on at."

John suddenly started spluttering with laughter and had to put down his tea for a few moments so he didn't spill it on himself.

"What" Sherlock demanded, "is so funny?!"

John wiped the tears forming at the corners of his eyes and gazed at Sherlock's confused face.

"It doesn't matter." John chuckled, picking his tea back up from the coffee table and taking a sip, still grinning to himself.

They sat in silence for a few more moments absent-mindedly watching the adverts roll on and on and Sherlock grunting at every Christmas one he saw when suddenly something white floating down past the window outside caught John's eye.

"Oh Sherlock look!" He cried before rushing towards the window like a little child, "It's snowing!"

Sherlock didn't budge.

"Yes John I know i've seen snow before it's just a way of nature." He rolled his eyes and looked back at the TV.

"Come on Scrooge lighten up!" John whined, "Come on grab your coat and scarf and let's go outside!"

"No." Sherlock replied, stubbornly.

"Pleeeaassseeee." John stood in front of Sherlock, blocking his view of the TV, his eyes wide and pleading.

Sherlock sighed frustratedly.

"Fine." He responded flatly, getting up to receive his coat and scarf from the kitchen.

Sherlock

The detective followed John down the stairs and outside of the flat onto the pavement next to the road where a thick blanket of white covered the whole street.