That First Day

"You poor, unfortunate soul," that was the first thing anyone spoke to me on my 8th birthday. It was late afternoon, almost dark enough outside to swallow the sounds of the others playing in the snow outside. I had been excited for my birthday, surely this year would be different. I had the feeling in my gut that something must happen. It couldn't pass by unnoticed like the years past. The day was proving my gut feeling wrong until I heard him talk.

I turned slowly from my window seat in the attic, a tattered book slipping from my lap. The boy in front of me was odd. He definitely was odd. He looked to be about my age, maybe a year older, but he stood like an adult. "Unwanted still. I'm surprised you managed to last this long. Most don't. Well Halfie, do you know why I am here?" Even the way he spoke was like an adult patronizing a slow child.

His oddness kept rubbing me wrong. I lowered my socked feet to the hardwood floor and stood as tall as I could before asking "are you here to tell me happy birthday?" The boy grinned a cheshire grin, holding back laughter. It stung. "If you aren't, then go away."

"Happy Birthday, Halfie. What a coincidence I could find you on your birthday." Again, his words didn't sound like any of the other kids. Everyone in SunnySide Orphanage spoke rougher. This boy spoke like he knew more words than the adults did. I muttered a thank you as I took a closer look.

He stood back straight, wearing shiny shoes with socks high on his ankles. His shorts, yes shorts, in January were not a denim material but more like the pants men wore at work. He had a plain blue button shirt underneath a vest that match his gray shorts.It was oddly rich. Everything was odd. His face was slightly Asian, his ink black hair long enough to cover his ears and tickle his neck. It was easier to picture him on a poster-board or commercial than standing there in the attic of an orphanage with her.

"What's your name? Are you new here?" I finally asked him after another moment of just looking at him.

His smile stayed wide on his face as he answered, "You can call me... Lin. I wouldn't call myself new but, sure." Lin extended a hand towards me, with neat nails trimmed short. "Glad to meet you, little Halfie."