19. the fight

Jackson Michaels Point of View:

Kate didn't speak the entire rest of the way back to Hamilton. After she hung up the phone, she stayed silent. She asked me to drop her off at Genny's instead, and said nothing when I asked what happened.

I was worried. I couldn't think of anything I had done wrong, or done to hurt her or make her angry. I almost wished that I had so that I knew what was going on. I texted her once I got home from Genny's, a quick text telling her to call me when she wants to talk.

When I walked in the door of my house my parents were having another yelling match with Harry, something that had become much more normal since the accident. I understood, Harry was getting a little out of control. He was making stupid decisions and letting everyone else deal with the consequences. My parents had begged me to try to talk to him, but he didn't want to listen, truly believing that he was fine.

They all turned to look at me when I walked in.

"Jackson!" My mother said, a light smile showing on her face but not making it to her eyes.

"Thank god." Harry groaned, standing to get up from his chair at the kitchen table.

"This is far from over, Harrison." My dad told him sternly. He didn't smile, only glared at Harry as he walked up the steps. Harry ignored him.

"How was your weekend? Did you see Gia? Did you tell her about the shoe sale I told you about?" My mom asked. I was a little surprised she asked me about it, since she didn't really  approve of the girl I had spent it with.

"It was really fun, we spent a lot of time with everyone from high school. They all love Kate, especially Anjo." I told her, hoping it would bring her around at some point. My dad eyed me, an amused smile on his face. "We met up with Brandon and Tyler earlier for lunch too. It was relaxing." I smiled at them, my mom raised her eyebrows.

"Good, honey. Did you tell Gia about the shoes?" She asked me again, I rolled my eyes.

"Yes. She said she was going to have me tell you about it. She ordered two pairs, I think." I said, scratching my head with uncertainty. This answer seemed to suit my mother and with a nod she walked out of the kitchen.

"Did Kate have fun?" My dad asked. He was much more lax about everything in life than my mother, but he let her have the opinions and hold her grudges, its just what he does.

"I think so. Her and Anjo are practically attached at the hip. She seemed calm, just what she needed." I told him with a smile. He seemed happy to hear this.

"Good. I've always like Anjo." He paused for a second and looked around the kitchen. "Jack, Kate is a special girl." I already knew where this was going and cut him off.

"Dad, I really like her. Not having the same amount of money has nothing-" He interrupted me.

"That's not what I was going to say. Kate is a special girl, Jack. Truly, and I can tell she makes you very happy. All I'm saying, is don't hurt her. If you really want this, her. You can't let your mom's opinion or anyone else's get in the way and you especially have to treat her right. I know you're not much of a serious girlfriend guy, especially after the last one. But if you're gonna do it. Do it right." I smiled. I knew that this was his way of giving me approval, of telling me he's proud. I could see it in his eyes.

"Thanks, Dad." He raised his glass of water, took a sip and went to follow my mother. It was almost 5pm and I had absolutely nothing going on. I texted Hendricks and Landon, hoping for something.

Hendricks didn't reply after thirty minutes, which was pretty unlike him, and after forty-five minutes, Landon had only just responded with "dude. wtf."