Chapter 4

"We get to go to the Renaissance Festival!" My history teacher said and began to hand out field trip slips. "We are going this Friday, so have your parents sign these and bring them back tomorrow. And if you want to, you can dress up. I will be dressing up."

I glanced over at Evan who sat across the room from me and he was already grinning. I had never been to the Renaissance Festival, but I had always wanted to go. I even had a costume for it. I would dress up as a ranger with an undershirt, a full leather vest, leather pants, and leather bond boots. I had been collecting it from the State Fair for years.

"I can't believe we're going! It's going to be awesome," I said. Evan and I were in my room, and I was frantically pulling out my costume to show him.

"You got all of this because you knew that one day you would go to the Renaissance festival?"

"Hell yeah. Look at these sick boots."

I threw my boots at him and he rotated them in his hand. I could see a twinkle in his eyes.

"Wow these are actually really cool."

"You can try them on if you want. We're almost the same shoe size now, right?"

He slipped the boots on. "Can I try on the whole thing?"

"You know that you're like a couple inches taller, right?"

"Let me try it on."

I pulled out my full costume and handed it to him. He pulled his pants down. My eyes widened and I turned around as he put the rest of the outfit on.

"Why are you facing that way?" He asked after a minute.

"Oh, I was just looking for something."

I turned back around, and my jaw almost fell to the floor. He looked like an actual ranger.

"What's wrong? Did I rip something?" He asked looking at the pants.

"No, no, you look... good," I said, walking over to him and helping him lace up the vest.

"Oh, thanks."

"You wear it," I said abruptly, shoving my sheathed sword at him.

"What?"

"Yeah, you wear it to the festival. I'll go as my Halloween costume."

"No, I can't do that. You spent so many years collecting this," He muttered, frantically trying to undo the vest.

"Only three years," I murmured, walking over and slowly undoing his vest. I could feel him tense under my touch.

"No, I still can't."

"You don't have a costume, so wear it, or I'll be forever mad at you."

Once I undid the ties, I gently moved the sleeves down his arms.

"You'll probably grow out of this next year, so why not wear it yourself?" Evan sounded weirdly out of breath.

"No, I'm already super tall. The doctor said I'll only grow a few more inches."

"You think you'll pass me up?" He laughed. He was almost a head taller than me.

"God, there's no possible way."