Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Elpis had found herself actually enjoying her time by the river with Androcles. She had never imagined the large man had such a sense of humour. And he had somehow managed to get her to tell stories of her life on the island, stories she had shut up in a tiny place in her head and not allowed herself to remember before now. She had no idea how he had managed it, but she was laughing about a time that she would not see again. He saw the real her, the girl she had been before the blood and fire. Before the time she had locked herself away. He had reached in and pulled the frightened girl out once more. But he had seen her as something more, and that was truly something she could never give back to him.

Making her way around the campfire once more, checking on the bread she was once more cooking within the flames. She knew it would be a staple that would soon run out. So she took the time to ground more flour while the time was quiet. The men finished their day's task of putting up the remainder of the sleeping and storage areas for the Nike. She had been told with great pride about the men of the vessel, Androcles taking the time with her to explain exactly how he had built up his crew, trading his stories for hers of her island.

She found herself fascinated by the life he had led. The life Theod had led. She took note of the way he spoke of his cousin, the way he truly saw him as a younger brother. A brother most beloved. They had shared some adventures she was sure, and being in much danger in battles past. She was sure they would also see much danger in this war with Troy. As she heard the love, the humour, and the life within Androcles, she did not want to ever see that light snuffed from this world. Yet that was a very real possibility. So as he sat in the soft sand that shone white in the sun, back leaning against the driftwood he had sat on earlier, she carried on talking with him, continuing to trade stories.

She ground the flour even as Androc told her to take a break and not to tire herself out. She worked through it, for in the pit of her stomach all she could feel was that Theod had disappeared and not returned. In a camp such as this, it could mean something terrible had happened to him. The images swirling around and around in her mind. The feeling, however, did not recede until she saw him walking back into camp. Hand sifting through his hair, the sun glinting against his strong, tanned body. She was struck still for a moment, the breath caught in her throat. She had never seen a man in such a way before, with such thoughts flowing through her head. Of course she had heard talk of such things among the other slaves. At that time all she could really think was that there was no point in thinking such things about the men or women they saw in the Temple. That feeling would never be reciprocated upon a slave.

And though she knew that, though she knew that the result would be the same – a master could never love a slave in such a way – her feelings could not be denied. So she tried to accept them, take them on, while at the same time making herself a promise. She would never act upon them. Never would she put herself in such a position. If she did, she could find her body used, and yet her heart left battered on the wayside. As he moved onto a free woman, a wife, even a family. And she would have to watch all from the darkness of the shadow cast behind them. Knowing herself as she did, she would not survive another situation where she had to lock herself away once more.

Head down she took to her task once more with much more vigour. Her already tired arms screamed at her to stop the torture she was inflicting. Yet she needed that distraction, needed to keep her attention elsewhere as Theod came and sat beside his cousin, nearer to her than she liked at that moment. However, she could not move away not without making it obvious that she was doing so.

Theod saw the slim muscles bunch and strain in Elpis' thin arms as she pounded away at the grain. He was impressed by the way she worked, the effort she placed into making sure her tasks were complete. Throwing himself down beside his cousin, he took his attention off of Elpis to find Androc smirking in her direction.

"And what is it that puts that smile upon your lips?" He was jealous; he realised with great surprise. Jealous of the time his cousin had spent with Elpis, whilst he had spent his time at the whim of a King, which could still decide to take her away. Elpis was his, and he found himself uncomfortable with the idea that he needed to hear that again from Androc.

Androc seemed startled at his words and jerked back towards him. "Oh nothing. Just the fact that moments ago she was laughing at a story of how you fell into the water in that port near Athens two years ago." Theod groaned, remembering how drunk he had been at the time and how he had missed his footing. He could have drowned, and yet all his cousin could do was laugh at his misfortune. And still the jealousy took hold, she had laughed with Androc and yet, at his approach, she had turned into a working slave who must do as bid.

Ah, maybe that was it. He was her master, and he could, therefore, punish her for doing anything he had not specifically asked her to do. And laughing with his cousin may be one of those things. As if to confirm, and showing how much they thought alike Androc finished. "And now, she fears your reprisal for that humour." A glance over to Elpis and then back, "But even you have to admit how amusing it was. Well, for everyone else at least." He wanted to wipe off the amused grin that made its way across his cousin's face.

"Elpis," her head flew up to face him. Yes, he thought, she definitely must fear reprisal. He did not want her to fear him. "You do not have to work so. You may talk and laugh. Be at ease. So long as the job is done. To the best of your ability, that is nothing more than we ask from our men and from ourselves." He turned back to his cousin. "So come then Androc. Tell me, what else is faulty within your memory? For I do not remember that last tale as you told Elpis here." Turning back to see a rueful smile, he beamed in response, like an untried lad after his first maiden. Shaking his head he continued. "I do apologise, Elpis. My cousin has been known to exaggerate his abilities upon the battle-field and his heroics to make himself look better to company. Unfortunately for him, my memory is crystal clear, shall I inform you of the truth?"

Elpis looked between the two cousins. So different and yet so alike. The family humour and banter flying backwards and forwards. Nodding solemnly at him, she could not help but be taken in. "I do believe whichever one of you is to tell me the tale, will change it to suit yourself. So why do you not both decide the role you are to play in these stories. And let me know what heroes you truly are." She could not help the laugh at the wounded expressions she received, knowing they were playing with her. She could not help but find it easy to be around these men. That could cause her a lot of pain in the future, but even knowing that she still could not stop.