Chapter 1-Where you find a hat

You squint your eyes and peer up at the glaring sunlight peeking through your window. The clock beside your bed reads 7 a.m. A low groan escapes your mouth as you sit up in bed, (H/L) hair looking almost as good as a rats nest. Last night couldn't have felt longer, what with you working double time as a barista. The place you worked, called Nirvana, had usually pretty slow days and even slower nights. Hell, the money wasn't even that good...so during some really slow nights you'd find ways to make some more.

 This being the drunk bastards watch, the forgetful  idiot's wallet, etc. You know, small stuff. But it always payed out well, and hey, nobody knew! Be this as it may, you still had to continue on with your day normally. This was sometimes a great challenge after a couple thousand dollars the day before that.

 You sigh and stand up, shivering as the warmth from your heavy quilt leaves you. Shuffling over to your small bathroom feels like a shit-ton of work right now...but you do it anyways. You open the cabinet and take out makeup that you usually put on just for work. After it's applied, you brush your (H/L) hair and stick a few pins in it to make a decent bun. Removing your night-clothes, you grab your black dress pants and white dress shirt as well as a red tie and slide them on your frame. Selecting a pair of your many socks, you slip them on with your work shoes and amble into the kitchen. Shoving an apple in your mouth, you grab your coat and head out.

 Living in an apartment wasn't so bad, the neighbors weren't too bad (which was a miracle in a town like Ebott City.) Plus, Nirvana wasn't a very far walk from the complex.

 The only downside was the nights walking home, when the sick and drunk perverts were prowling about. On those nights you sometimes had to use the MMA skills you were taught by your boss. But damn, was kicking in heels rough. You lock your door behind you, briefly acknowledging your neighbor two doors down, Mrs. Kersh, with a wave. 

 Descending the stairs quickly, you almost burst out of the complex's doors and quickly walk to the bar. 

 "Shit, im going to be late!" You mumble loudly to yourself, catching a few displeased glances from others on the street as you pass through. You attempt to walk faster, almost jogging now, and find yourself almost out of breath. The bar is in sight and you cheer in your head as you grab the door handle and violently swing it open. 

 You rush in, only to slam into something that felt like a brick wall. You bounce back from it, landing on your tailbone. 

"Ow! What the he-" You pause mid-sentence as your eyes take in what exactly it was that you ran into. It seems to be...a skeleton monster?  He's wearing a black and red striped suit with a black and red fedora on his skull. His eyes are a fiery red as he scoffs down at your small body, his gold tooth shining in dim light of the bar. You squeak a little and stand up quickly. 

 "I-I'm so sorry sir! I was ju-" He cuts you off mid-sentence this time, pushing past you. 

"'jus gettin' in ma way. watch where yer goin' next time, k mouse?" He frowns and slams the door loudly behind him as he leaves. You cringe and scrunch up your nose, he had absolutely reeked of alcohol. You rise and dust yourself off, the patrons that had watched the ordeal losing interest quickly and going back to doing there things.

 As you stand, you notice something the bag of bones left behind...his fedora. You grin to yourself and pick it up, feeling it's material and almost squealing when you find it's cashmere. 

 "This would sell like hell! Hehe, that rhymed.." You banter back and forth to yourself, chuckling lowly. Giving your manager, Georges, a nod you hang your coat in the back rooms of the bar and get ready to wait tables. Georges is a deep purple colored fish monster, usually wearing reading glasses and tending to the bar.  

 Because of this, your bar usually gets monster customers with the exception of a few humans every once in a while. They were kind of nice sometimes, but usually wanted you to "give 'em a drink and get the fuck away." Needless to say, monster-human relations weren't the best right now. You knew that there were mafias of monsters and humans littered around town, but never were involved in anything like that.

 After zoning out a bit, you alert yourself of a couple monsters walking in the door. You plaster on a nice smile and walk over to the royal purple booth they sit down in. One seems to be a blue woman fish monster, and the other a yellow lizard. The fish monster is wearing a simple suit, while the lizard wears a flowling black and red striped dress. 

 "Good morning ladies, can i get you anything to drink?" You ask in a sweet voice, while the fish monster barely glances at you. 

"Water, and make it quick. Alph, what d'ya want?" She snaps, glances over at the lizard. Alph, apparently,  looks at the fish monster and grins. 

 " Oh, hush Undyne, you know exactly what i want." The fi- Undyne gives a small twist of her mouth, seemingly smiling. The lizard grabs her scaly hand in her own clawed one and grins.

 "Alright, two waters. What d'ya got on the menu here anyway?" Undyne says, glancing at the menu in your hand as you bring out a pad and paper. 

 "Oh, right, yes." You fumble, handing them both menus somewhat gracefully. They begin flipping through them and you exhale lightly. "Alright, while you look I'll get those waters right out for you!" You put on another smile and twist on your heel, walking back towards the kitchen. 

 "Yeah, yeah. Hurry up with 'em too, I'm thirsty!" Undyne calls after you, making you cringe slightly. You grab two glasses and bring them to the drink machine. You sigh, puting some ice cubes in them before filling them with water. You cast a longing glance at the baxk room, thinking about all of the things you could do with the money from the fedora. 

 This brings your thoughts back to the rude skeleton monster who was wraring it. He wouldn't come back for it, would he? Judging by his clothing style, you doubt that something as pricey as that meant much to him. You snort, breifly wishing you had that kind of financial freedom.
You swing out of the kitchen entrance and back to the girl's table. 

 Handing them their waters, they both mutter and thank you and take drinks. 

"Alright, what'll you be having today ladies?" You ask them in a somewhat cheery tone. They peer up at you, Undyne being the first to speak.

 "Yeah, whatever. I want the sliders and she'll have the artichoke dip and your bacon cheeseburger." She says, and you take the menus from the table. You quickly write them down on your paper and what they ordered. 

 "Oki doki, shouldn't be too long on that we'll have it out in no time! Just holler if you need anything." You give them a genuine grin that only Alph returns. 

 You bring them their food and small 'thank you' s are heard as they dig in. After they left, the tip being around 7 dollars, the rest of the day was boring as hell. You grab your coat again and pull it on. The time now reads 11:30 p.m, and you let out an exhausted sigh, calling out goodnight to Georges before walking out the door. 

 The fedora safely tucked under your jacket, you begin your walk home, your dress shoes making a dull slapping sound against the cracked pavement. About two blocks from the apartment, you hear some footsteps begin following behind you. Sweating a bit nervously, you just barely quicken your own steps.

 The one's behind you do the same, making you more anxious by the minute. You're at the home stretch and can see your building just down the street. Suddenly, you're tugged roughly into a nearby alleyway and pressed harshly against the brick wall. Before you can scream, a large boney hand covers your mouth.

 Your eyebrows knit together in confusion and terror as you gaze up at the humongous skeleton before you. He growls and grabs your coat, ripping the hat from inside of it. 

 "jus' what were ya' thinkin' of doin' wit this , lil' mouse?" 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~♤♡◇♧~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys! This is my very first AU fic, i hope you enjoyed the first chapter! 

Love ya! ;D