One More Chance

Michael Jackson

I drive towards the strip for some drinks. There was this private bar that Donny introduced to me before. Shots of vodka burned my throat as I drowned myself in questions.

I was interrupted from staring at the box that contained the wedding rings when my pager beeps and I dial the number on the telephone by the counter.

"Where are you?" she sniffs. "I'm here at the boulevard. I'm crying. Should I cry alone again?"

I quickly set the phone down, pushing the box with the wedding rings into my pocket and drove, making sure to look both left and right in search of her. This time, I wasn't gonna let her cry by herself.

Few minutes go by and I spot her car parked by the side of the road not far from the strip. As I was trying to park my car, I notice her door open and she just runs out to save a boy in the middle of the road. I waste no time dashing out of mine, not caring that my car wasn't parked and pushed Adrianna and the boy away from the speeding vehicle towards their direction.

The car doesn't stop and I hit the windshield which sends my body toppling on the ground and the rings fly from my pocket, clattering on the asphalt.

"Michael!!" Adrianna screams over to me. She was red from crying and screaming but I don't hear anything anymore. I couldn't even speak or move except for the tear in my eye that escaped before everything goes black and I lose consciousness.

*

Noah Centineo

I happen to drive by Sunset Boulevard on my way to hang out with the lacrosse team at the strip when a loud car horn and the sound of crashing echoed through. The cars in front of me stopped and people hopped out of their cars to see what had happened. My curiosity gets to me and I do the same.

"My husband!! Please call an ambulance!!!" a lady cries.

As I got nearer to the scene,I see the lady crying was Adrianna. My husband? Did I hear her correctly? I scooted over some people to see who was hit. Michael.

The ambulance came and I ran to Adrianna to go with her. I'm sure she will need someone with her.

We run alongside Michael's gurney until the doors were closed on us. Adrianna collapses on the floor in her anguish and there was nothing I could do except watch her.

A nurse comes out of the emergency room holding a clipboard.

"I need you to call his family now. He needs surgery." the nurse tells Adrianna.

"I'll sign the form. P-please operate on him now." Adrianna frantically takes the paper from the nurse.

"A friend can't sign this. We need to know his blood type and medications." the nurse wouldn't let go of the form.

"His blood type is B. He's allergic to sun rays because his skin is sensitive. In addition to that, some soaps would also make his skin flare up.." Adrianna continues to tell the nurse everything about Michael. "I'm really his family! Please hurry! What if something happens to him?" she continues to sob.

Michael's mom and dad suddenly appear from the elevator and both ran to the nurse who was speaking with Adrianna.

"Mother-in-law.." she says to Michael's mom before hugging her.

Why did she call Michael's mom, mother-in-law? So did I hear it right when she called Michael her husband while asking for help? How did they even get married that fast if ever? I almost drive past my house from all the thoughts I had on my way home.

Something is definitely up.

*

Adrianna Diaz

The next day, I went back to the hospital to check on Michael.

"I'm sorry but you can't visit him now." the nurse says.

"What do you mean? His operation went well and he's recovering now."

"You're right, but only family members can see him." the nurse sighs before leaving.

The next day again

"Can I see him today?" I walk behind the nurse.

"No, you can't."

I quickly walk in front of the nurse's tracks to block her from walking away. "Are you sure he's okay?"

"Yes. He is."

"You keep saying that. No visitors allowed means he's not well."

The nurse was then called by another nurse to assist the doctor and excuses herself to leave.

I look over to Michael's door and see his mom leaving the room.

"M-mother..."

She softly smiles at me and invites me to talk with her in the car.

"Are you Michael's girlfriend?" she asks.

"Y-yes. My name is Adrianna."

"That's a pretty name. I'm sorry I couldn't talk to you the other day, I was so out of it. You really love him, don't you?"

I simply nod at her.

"You have nothing to worry about. He's fine. The hospital just wouldn't allow visitors. I'll call when you can come visit him, okay?"

"M-mother. Is he r-really okay?" I tear up.

She gives me a smile and a nod before getting out of the car to go back to Michael's room. I step out and watch her from behind.

"Yes, mom." I giggle into the phone. "Okay, bye. Take care."

"What did she say?" Michael asks.

"She said we didn't have to come too early for New Years because she will surely nag at us to have another baby."

"D-don't mind her.."

"I don't." I put my hand on Michael's lap. "You know I love it she calls me 'our Adrianna'"

"Our Adrianna?"

"Yeah. She doesn't call me daughter-in-law but calls me our Adrianna. I think she does that so I don't feel left out. I really love that."

I run towards Michael's mom and hug her again, offering her reassurance back in exchange for all the love she has given me. She thanks me before leaving me again to her son's room.

I take a seat at the lobby thinking if I could sneak into Michael's room when his mother leaves.

"Michael Jackson's room please?"

The phrase catches my attention and I turn my head at the desk.

"Donny!" I call out and he walks over to me.

"How's Michael? Have you seen him yet?"

"No. The hospital wouldn't allow visitors."

"What? What do you mean? He asked me to come here."

I was surprised. Did Michael not want to see me?