Anụ Ọkpọ: Shades of Strange

I have seen all shades of strange.
I am an eighteen year old Igbo girl, currently studying at the University of Ebonyi state.
Before you tell me that I haven't lived enough years to support my claim, let me tell you a little about my brother.
His name is Lucas, at least that is the name our parents christened him. He came to us through my mother when I was seven.
Lucas started walking when he was six months old, and before his first birthday, he was already talking. You may have seen this before, but to me, it's strange.

Growing up, when Lucas was called his name, he'd look at you straight and tell you to call him 'Ańu Ókpọọ'. Our parents, just like myself laughed it off, but before his third birthday, the name had already stuck – be it from the way his eyes turned, or the way his face hardened, or the compelling tone he used when he demanded you correct yourself and call him by the name, I can never tell. I call it strange, you are free to call it what you must.

At four, my brother Lucas, or Ańu Ọkpọọ if you please, started a strange ritual. Once he insisted on following Mom and I to the market. He has a way of demanding that no one has ever successfully turned down, needless to say that Mom agreed. At the market he pointed at a strange looking fruit and insisted on having it, not just having it, but in a large quantity. Typically, he got his way. I learned that the fruit was actually a very important fruit in Igbo land called ọji. On some days, my brother would split the fruit which never seemed to have the same number and mutter words that are incoherent to me.

Lucas made his first income at six. Our mother had conceived, and so purchased all that was needed for the unborn child. However, Lucas told her that she'll miscarry and so in our parents' absence, sold the items. Strange, he sold all at rates higher than they cost. At the end, he made a profit ₦21,000 and that very day, our mother miscarried. Remember, he was just six.

Now these are just an introduction to the strangeness that is my brother, and I assure you, these are the soft tones, meant to prepare you for the real hues of strange.

Oh, I haven't told you my name yet. I am Christabel, though Ańu Ọkpọọ choose to call me Ulọaku.