prologue

PROLOGUE ✩°̥࿐୨୧

PROLOGUE
✩°̥࿐୨୧

   ASTRA ROSE LEONATO WAS NEVER THE TYPE TO DEAL WITH PAIN EASILY. She was always the one who tried to make other people happy. She would hold all of her feelings inside and quietly deal with them in the middle of the night. But that was before the attack on her family.

   It was a starry night in Florence, Italy and Astra and her family had decided they were going to camp in the backyard of one of their many mansion. They invited a few members of their mafia, roasted marshmallows, told ghost stories, and were overall just having a good time. Astra had just walked over to her father and mother — Alberto and Iris Leonato — and was trying to convince her father to let her go egg the rival mafias cars.

   "There's no way I'm letting you go." her father said, his voice thick with his italian accent.

   Astra did her best puppy eyes and clasped her hands together in front of her chest, "Please Dad?" she began, "We'll be back before you know it and we won't be seen."

   "They'll know it was our family."

   "Not unless we act guilty when they come over to discuss the treaty."

   "Astra." her father said firmly. It was too dangerous for them to start a war with the rival mafia — the Romano family.

   Astra sighed deeply and nodded her head in defeat. Her blonde curls bounced with each movement. She pursed her pink lips and sat next to her mother, who pulled her into a side hug. "We just can't have you seen out there my star." her mother began, "They could kidnap you, rape you, sell you, hold you for ransom-"

   "Mom." Astra interrupted. Her mother had a habit of thinking the worst things and causing herself to panic. It was a trait that Astra had, unfortunately, inherited.

   "Sorry." her mother said guiltily, giving her daughter a shy smile, "I just love you so much. I don't know what I would do if I lost you."

   "I know. I love you too mama, and I feel the same way. You and Dad are my rock, despite the fact that you guys always keep me from having fun." Astra said as she playfully rolled her eyes. She kissed her mother on the cheek and stood up. "I'll see you guys in a little bit."

   She headed towards her older brother, who had two girls in each of his arms. "Hector! Can't even stay away from the girls for just a night, can you?" she called out as she winked at him.

   "Like you can talk, I'm sure there's a boy around here somewhere that you're gonna go get frisky with later." Her brother replied, wiggling his eyebrows as he spoke. He took his arms away from the girls and playfully pushed Astra as she reached him.