Chapter 1 - The Beginning

'When does the game begin?'

Kazuo Kiriyama's (Male student #6) question sounded inhumanly loud in the tense silence. His mouth moved slowly as he continued to chew his bubblegum, ignoring the surprised and scared looks from around the classroom.

Kinpatsu Sakamochi (instructor) grinned. His long, dark hair brushed against his shoulders. 'As soon as you leave this classroom.'

Kazuo nodded silently. His blank expression didn't change.

Sakamochi drew an envelope from inside his jacket and tore it open. He laughed. 'What a coincidence! Male student No. 1, Yoshio Akamatsu.'

Yoshio's already pale face, if possible, paled further. He stood up and took the first black daypack on top of the pile in the corner of the classroom. As he was slinging it over his shoulders, it slipped in his large, sweaty hands, but he managed to catch it. His body trembled as he exited the classroom, his pack lumpish with items. Weapons.

Exactly two minutes passed before Sakamochi read out the next name. 'Female student No. 1, Mizuho Inada.'

Mizuho took her daypack and left in a similar manner.

The list of names continued on, each read out exactly two minutes apart from each other. Many of the students who left the classroom were crying or trembling from fear. Some just looked dazed; in shock, maybe. The only people who seemed calm, Kazuo noticed, were him, Misuko Souma (Female Student No. 11), and Shogo Kawada (Male Student No. 5), the new deliquient who had transfered to their school only a few months ago. When Kazuo peered closer, he noticed the faint trace of a smile on Shogo's face.

The stench of fresh blood from Yoshitoki Kuninobu's (Male Student No. 7) body had grown stronger, but it didn't bother Kazuo. Nor did the three corpses lying around him. Death didn't bother Kazuo. In fact, Kazuo had no emotions at all. 

Ignoring the smell, Kazuo slipped a coin from his pocket and hid it under the desk.

He had to choose.

Now.

He decided that, if it came up heads, he'd take on Sakamochi. But if it came up tails, he would play the game, the game forcing him to kill his classmates. "Kill or be killed".

He flipped the coin.

Tails.

'Male Student No. 6, Kazuo Kiriyama.'

Kazuo stood up and took his daypack, which felt heavy. Without any regret whatsoever of his choice, he exited the room.