Chapter 2

The next morning, Steve immediately prepared to leave. Alone. He talked to Sam and Wanda and asked them to stay put for a while as he went to see Natasha. Natasha didn't say much over the phone. They just agreed to meet in person.

"I can't let you go on your own, Steve," Sam objected. "It could be a trap."

"No," Steve said firmly.

"It's possible Ross didn't give her a choice," Sam continued. "He could have threatened to bring in Clint if she didn't comply."

"No," Steve said again.

"Are you sure?" Bucky asked, calmly.

"Yes," Steve said, confidently.

"Why?" Okoye asked.

It was Wanda who answered, "Because Nat would rather give herself up to spare anyone else."

Steve looked at Wanda and smiled. It was nice that she seemed to know Natasha well by now.

"I promise, I'll be fine. We'll be fine," Steve said. "I'll check in with you, don't worry."

Minutes later, the quinjet darted through and out of Wakanda airspace.

*****

Hours later, Steve found himself roaming the streets of a country somewhere in Northern Europe. The coordinates Natasha gave led him to a quaint town near a sea. She also gave him coordinates where he can safely 'park' the quinjet. Then Steve used the electronic bike in the jet to get to their meeting place. The address he had was a 5-storey hotel with a cafe at the ground floor. It has several tables and chairs outside for some al fresco dining. Steve sat at a corner table and ordered coffee from a nice old lady in a cute apron. When she returned, she had his coffee in a to-go cup. Steve looked at her confused.

"Enjoy your coffee with a nice view at the rooftop, honey," the old lady said with a knowing but warm smile.

Steve, familiar with Natasha's methods, simply nodded in understanding and smiled with thanks before entering the hotel. After a couple of minutes he opened the access door to the deck and stepped outside, but stopped in his tracks to see the person sitting on the ledge. Her hair is different.

"Hi," Natasha greeted him with a smile, which turned into a chuckle when she saw the surprise and question on his face.

"The news said there was a red-head outlaw on the loose, so...," Natasha joked and Steve finally recovered with a soft laugh.

He wanted to run and hug her but he decided to test the waters first. There were a lot of unsaid things between them before they parted ways a year ago and Steve didn't want to ruin their reunion just because he said or asked the wrong things. So he just walked to her and join her at the edge of the deck. He put down his coffee and leaned on the ledge. He peered down and found the height enough to kill a man. Natasha was dangling her legs inside the ledge, much to his relief. He finally looked back at Natasha, who gestured to her chin, silently referring to his beard.

"Oh, just trying something new," Steve lied.

Natasha smiled and said, "I like it."

"Thanks. I like that, too," Steve said and pointed at her hair.

"No, you don't," Natasha said with a smirk.

"No, I don't," Steve said immediately and they both laughed. Finally, Steve relaxed but still unsure what to say. Natasha seemed to have picked up on it and Steve was grateful that she kept the conversation going.

"Thanks for coming. A part of me thought you'd wouldn't," Natasha admitted.

"Why would you think that?"