xvii

Travel was never something new to Calidora. She was constantly flown out to yacht ships or anywhere else a client asked for her, but it was always a different ship for a different client. Calidora didn't think she ever spent as much time on another ship as she did on the Razor Crest. She got to know her well, so when they got back to her, Calidora did the ground check while the Mandalorian took the child and went inside.

There was nothing to worry about - there hardly ever was - but a ground check before take off was always the smartest thing to do.

But when she boarded the ship and closed the ramp, she saw the Mandalorian was off. His body tense and his hands held his helmet like he was thinking hard. Too hard.

"Everything alright?" She asked, placing a hand on his shoulder.

He didn't say anything though, instead he replayed an existing communication on the dash. The little holographic man was someone Calidora didn't recognize, but she watched anyway.

"My friend," he spoke, "if you are receiving this transmission, that means you are alive.
You might be surprised to hear this, but I am alive too. I guess we can call it even."

Calidora turned a sly eye to the Mandalorian.

"A lot has happened since we last saw each other.
The man who hired you is still here, and his ranks of ex-Imperial guards have grown. They have imposed despotic rule over my city, which has impeded the livelihood of the Guild. We consider him an enemy, but we cannot get close enough to take him out.
If you would consider one last commission, I will very much make it worth your while. You have been successful so far in staving off their hunters, but they will not stop until they have their prize. So, here is my proposition. Return to Nevarro. Bring the child as bait. I will arrange an exchange, and provide loyal Guild members as protection. Once we get near the client, you kill him, and we both get what we want.
If you succeed, you keep the child and I will have your name cleared with the Guild, for a man of honor should not be forced to live in exile.
I await your arrival with optimism."

And the message cut off.

To be honest, Calidora was a little confused.

"So we go to Nevarro." She said and the Mandalorian shook his head.

"It's a trap."

"Obviously it's a trap, but this guy's right. The hunters won't stop coming for the kid."

"I know, it's just-" the Mandalorian tried to find the right words. "I think you should stay here."

Calidora lifted her hand from his shoulder and took a step back.

"What?" Her tone was a little more harsh than she wanted it to be.

"This is going to be dangerous - really dangerous." Turned in his chair to face her. "I don't want a chance of you getting hurt."

"If you didn't want a chance of me getting hurt, you never would have brought the child to me in the first place." Calidora's face was hard and mean.

"Please." He said but she wouldn't stop.

"So you're just going to waltz into an imperial infested trap by yourself then?"

"I'll go back to Sorgan and find Cara." He said.

"Oh, right, 'cause she's a veteran." Calidora really liked Cara, but she needed her point to get across.

"Cali-"

"No." She interrupted him. "I am this child's caregiver. You gave me that position when you dragged me into this mess, and I will not let you abandon me now because you're scared for my safety. We're partners, we do this together."

The Mandalorian didn't say anything. He just stared at her for a few seconds before turning back to the control panel and starting the engine. Calidora kept her standing position, not stopping the fight until the Mandalorian verbally backed down because there was no way she was going to let him win.

"I'm not the boss of you." He said, then turned his head to look at her. "But you are going to listen to me when we get there. You're inexperienced and unfamiliar with the guild and the terrain, you can't do hand to hand combat, and you have no armour. But you're right, we are partners, we do this together."

Calidora relaxed. Her expression less aggressive but she still wasn't happy. She slumped down in her seat as the child waddled up to her and she picked him up to place on her lap. Studying him.

"Well I don't think it's your looks that has them searching the galaxies for you." She said. "So what is it?"

The child just cooed at her and rested his head against her chest.

"He's special." The Mandalorian faced the sky as they took off.

"Special how?" She asked, raising her eyebrow and staring at the back of the Mandalorian's helmet.

"I've only seen him do it once." He said. "But his species can move things with it's mind."

Calidora nearly dropped the child. Then stared at it. Then back at the Mandalorian.

"And you didn't think to tell me?" She asked.

"I didn't know if I fully believed it happened." He shrugged, but Calidora wasn't happy.

How dare he ask if she ever lied to him when he kept this from her? Was it his guilt of hiding something like this hat drove him to question her loyalty as a friend? And what else was he keeping from her?

"Is there anything else you didn't think to tell me?" Her voice was bordering on hostile again but the Mandalorian stayed calm.

"Other than my feelings for you, no." He said.

"Don't just say that to undercut the fact that you kept a big secret from me." She glared and him.

"I'm not." He said. "I kept two big secrets from you. One, the kid can move things with its mind. Two, I think I'm falling for you."