Complete Work

"Hello?"

Logan Echolls had finally gotten the nerve to call his ex-girlfriend. It had been years, nearly nine of them, since he talked to her. He defended her honor, saw that amazed smile that gave his life meaning and heard she booked it out of town from Dick, of all people. But, he had grown, not only in maturity, but understanding. He had experiences of life that were his own, moments of pride and regret that he couldn't blame on the pint-sized blonde pixie. He was his own man and stood tall.

With the reunion looming in the short months ahead, he wanted to prepare himself. He wanted to see exactly what was in store for him should he show up. He knew Dick would be there, scouting for tail from anyone willing to give him a second look. He suspected Wallace would be there, seeing how he taught at the school and had a basketball team to reconnect with. He figured Mac would attend, if nothing else than to show those losers what a hot piece she truly was. Any other man would fall to his knees for that woman. Logan saved his kneeling for her best friend. He wanted to call to check in. He wanted to get the awkwardness out of the way. He wanted to beg her to show up, so he could see her. But, he wanted to let her know he still cared.

He had swallowed a double shot of whiskey and dialed the number Mac gave him. He had triple checked the number before he hit send. He did not want to get discouraged by calling the wrong number. He brought the phone up to his ear and listened to it attempt to connect to his past.

He was not prepared for a man to answer her phone.

"Is someone there?"

The mystery man asked calmly. He was so calm because he had no idea what it was doing to Logan's brain and heart.

"Uh. I'm looking for Veronica." Logan answered as gently as he could muster. He felt a sharp pain in his chest. Jealousy rushed through his body, followed by a burst of pessimistic reality.

"Oh, yea, sure. I'll get her." The mystery man spoke happily.

Logan wanted to stick a hot poker in his ears at the sound of the man's voice. He was Veronica's newest man. He sounded happy and peppy and all wrong for her. As Logan plotted the torture for either himself or the man on the other side of the call, he heard a knock on the door.

"Roni, there's a guy on your phone. I'm sorry, I didn't think and I just answered it." The man wasn't speaking into the phone. He used Logan's nickname and it rubbed Logan wrong. Logan tilted his head until his neck popped.

"Oh, who is it?" Veronica was there. But, there was another noise. She was near water. She was in the tub. She was naked, with another man, while Logan waited on the phone. Logan felt sick to his stomach. He glared at the whiskey and blamed it for attacking his weakened form.

"Oh, I didn't even ask." The man laughed and suddenly, his voice was loud and clear in Logan's ear. "May I ask who is calling?"

Logan let out a slow breath while trying not to throw up. "Logan."

"Ok, one second." The man's voice got softer, probably because he was holding the phone in his hand. "It's Logan."

Logan pushed his head into his phone to the point he heard the case crack.

"Oh, um. Yea. I'll take it. Thanks." She adjusted in the tub. It took a few seconds before he heard the phone change hands and a door close. He heard her breathe out slowly and he relaxed a bit. "Logan?"

"Hey." He wiped his sweaty hand on his pants. "Busy?"

She chuckled and he heard the water move a bit. "Never too busy for you." She must have realized how that sounded because she cleared her throat. "How are you?"